Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need Help: Amp Wiring

Old 06-10-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Amp Wiring

I was wondering where you all are running your amp power cable (from the battery to the amp). Is there a specific hole that everyone is using to run the cable through? Pics please. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Passenger side dash panel. Open your passage side door pop off the side dash panel and there is a hole filled with foam. I pushed a coat hanger through the top left of that hole and it came out right next to the battery. Taped the wires to the coat hanger and pulled back through. Neatly tie wrapped the wires to the existing screw hole just before wires run down to the battery and to the fuse box. Use Fuse box fuse No. (M8). Its empty and turns on and off with your car. Put the blue wire in the negative side of the fuse plug (driver side) and use a 20 fuse. Run your wires along with the existing wire casing along the passenger side of the Jeep. If your using a line output converter tap into the sub speaker wires near your passenger side (back seat) and after connecting electrical tape the whole converter to the existing wire casing. From there just run the power wire/amp wire/and RCA under your carpet to where your amp and speakers are located.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talking

Originally Posted by mcgrath85
I was wondering where you all are running your amp power cable (from the battery to the amp). Is there a specific hole that everyone is using to run the cable through? Pics please. Thanks in advance.

driver side, I found more room to run the 0 gage wire! I drill in my firewall there more room on that side then put it under the panel... its eazy to pop off and put your wires through. even on a 4 door! then you can run it all the way to the back and you can even put it under the carpet! i use the back seat bolt for The ground wire! ill take a pic in a bit!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tuffysJKwrangler
driver side, I found more room to run the 0 gage wire! I drill in my firewall there more room on that side then put it under the panel... its eazy to pop off and put your wires through. even on a 4 door! then you can run it all the way to the back and you can even put it under the carpet! i use the back seat bolt for The ground wire! ill take a pic in a bit!!!
I'm actually going to be running and AMP powe wire soon. So you saying to remove the cover on the driver side of the dash? And do what? Just drill a hole in the same place as the foam filled hole on the passenger side? Please elaborate.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MaloCS
No...

On the side of the dash, not the face but the side, there is a removable plastic panel that allows access to the firewall. The easiest way to access this panel is to open the door, locate the side of the dash and unsnap the panel. Once the panel is removed you will see a hole filled with foam at the top of the area exposed by removing the panel. This foam filled hole allows access to the engine compartment.

Just run your power wires from the battery through this hole and into the cab. There's no need to drill a hole.

Good luck.
Yes ... I know about that one ... I am actually using it to run my "Horn Honk" wire from my Viper RKE install to a relay in the engine compartment. I plan on mounting my AMP in the factory location beneath the steering wheel so it would be nice to have a Driver Side access hole instead like tuffy is talking about.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmhines
Yes ... I know about that one ... I am actually using it to run my "Horn Honk" wire from my Viper RKE install to a relay in the engine compartment. I plan on mounting my AMP in the factory location beneath the steering wheel so it would be nice to have a Driver Side access hole instead like tuffy is talking about.
There is the same hole on both Driver and Passenger side.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vernnz
There is the same hole on both Driver and Passenger side.
Oh ... I did not know that ...
Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmhines
I'm actually going to be running and AMP powe wire soon. So you saying to remove the cover on the driver side of the dash? And do what? Just drill a hole in the same place as the foam filled hole on the passenger side? Please elaborate.
passenger side! the only hole you drill is the firewall hole! from there take passenger door off! it helps, the floor panel pops right off, just slide in the wire and it will run all the way to the back and pop out udever the carpet in the back

so your amp is for your Speaker and not sub lol help to know that

Last edited by tuffysJKwrangler; 06-10-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Will 0 guage fit through the hole on the pass side? I poked mine through some foam sticky stuff on the drivers side. It works fine, but uses up all the slack I had in the cable. I really need the slack, as now my amp is mounted as tight to the seat as possible, which isnt 'cool' looking at all..
:(
Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Pics please!! I understand your description, however, pics always give you that added boost of confidence.

It does seem much easier than I thought though. So I just need to "poke" through the foam? I'm using 4 gauge wire. Where is the best place to hook up the ground? I'm mounting my amp under the driver seat. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need Help: Amp Wiring