Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need help tuning CB.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help tuning CB.

I just received my SWR meter from Walcott-CB and need help tuning the CB.

I used these instructions:

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm

But I can't seem to understand one part of it, the "knob turning" part.

This is the SWR meter I have:

http://www.walcottcb.com/vanco-swr1-swr-meter-the-one-our-installers-use-p-177.html

When I put the meter on the FWD setting, I turn the dial counter clockwise and I leave it at 1.3. What exactly does this do?

I specifically don't understand this sentence:

While holding the unit in this transmit mode, adjust the meter needle to the set position using the Set or Adjust knob on the meter. As soon as the needle is in alignment with the corresponding mark on the meter face, flip the switch to the Reference (REF) position.

What mark on the meter face? I have no mark on the meter face. Is there a specific number I need to leave the needle at?

I did everything the instruction said to do. With the needle sitting at 1.3, I flipped to REF and they were a little over 1 on ch. 1, 19, and 40.

But, I think it isn't tuned, for some reason.

Last edited by JackMac4; 02-16-2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: please do not direct link to non-sponsors
Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

With your SWR meter installed in the line between your radio and Antenna.
On ch 1 put meter in FWD and press Transmit. Adjust the knob at the bottom until the meter reads full scale to the right. This tunes the meter. Then switch to FWD and then transmit again. The reading should be close to 1 on the left side of the meter. Record this reading. Repeat on ch 19. then on ch 40. The numbers you record will then indicate if your antenna is long or short. You can then follow the instructions you listed to improve the readings.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

actually do it on 20 and not 19. also any testing you need to do should be on 20, that is the channel set to be used for testing, like 19 is the trucker channel.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Junkie

I see. So I need to max out the meter on the FWD setting, then record the reading on REF position?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

get a bigger hammer.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

I have a guy that modifies, tunes and everything else you want done on a CB. He has dedicated his whole life on CB and other police type radios. He is located in queens so he isn't too ar away from you. PM me if your still having trouble and I'll look up his number for you.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that same tuner, and could never get it to work. Ends up it was broken. By the time I figured that out it was too late to return it. I had to just go get it tuned. Those Vanco tuners are cheapo.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

Well I tuned it this morning. Maxed out the meter on the FWD position and had a reading of 1.3, 1.4 and 2 on channels 1, 20, and 40 respectively. Does that sound ok?
Old 02-16-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are in pretty good shape. The antenna is a little long, as indicated by the higher SWR on the higher channels. Probably not enough to worry about.
Check the antenna again sometime in the future and see if the SWR has changed.

Quick Reply: Need help tuning CB.