Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need Help upgrading sound system

Old 05-17-2015, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Help upgrading sound system

New Post

Hey guys,
I have a jeep jk 2014 with infinity premium speakers/sub.
I want to change out the 8" sub in the back and also add an amp that will power the new 8" sub.

couple of questions. please also correct me if i'm wrong.

I will tap/splice into the black plug under the dash into the sub wires after it has been amplified.

The wires will go to an LOC
to RCA cables to the Amp

Then do I have to run New speaker wires from my amp to the new sub? and just unplug the old wire?

I understand where to get remote power from and how to wire up an amp. I'm very new to the LOC

OLD POST
Hey guys,
I want to upgrade my front woofers and soundbar speakers and rear sub.
I currently have the stock premium infinity sound.

I want to put a 5 channel amp to power the front woofers and soundbar speakers and rear sub.

The front + soundbar speakers i'll put in some 6.5" and rear sub i'm looking to put in a JL audio 8".
I will use the PAC C2R-CHY4 with my factory deck.

Few questions about the wiring.

1. I located the factory amp and cut the speaker wires and run it directly to the amp so it gets power. Do i still leave the remaining wires plugged into factory amp?

2. the PAC only has front and rear RCA cables do i use just the rear to power the sub?

Last edited by ginxer86; 05-18-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Yes

2. Yiu can split the signal from either the front pair or rear pair using y-adapters.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
1. Yes

2. Yiu can split the signal from either the front pair or rear pair using y-adapters.

THanks for your response.

Now i'm thinking it maybe too much work to do the speakers. plus i have a 4 channel amp already sitting in my house.

So what would be the easiest way to wire up and replace my factory infinity 8" amp with the Jl audio 8" and and have it powered by my 4 channel amp?
Do i really need this Pac C2A-CHY23?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Hey, start again with some more info.

Do you already have the amp and sub or are you looking for suggestion? If you already have them, what model numbers? Many amps today have speaker level inputs so you won't need a LOC or adapter. You can tap into your front speakers or sub leads but don't tap your rear speakers if you have an Infinity/Alpine system, the EQ blocks some of the lower frequencies and attenuates the sound when the hard top is off.

Why do you think changing the speakers will be difficult? It's not as bad as you think it is and it is completely worth it if you do it right.

Do you plan to keep the stock head unit or are you open to replacing with a better after market unit?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Hey, start again with some more info.

Do you already have the amp and sub or are you looking for suggestion? If you already have them, what model numbers? Many amps today have speaker level inputs so you won't need a LOC or adapter. You can tap into your front speakers or sub leads but don't tap your rear speakers if you have an Infinity/Alpine system, the EQ blocks some of the lower frequencies and attenuates the sound when the hard top is off.

Why do you think changing the speakers will be difficult? It's not as bad as you think it is and it is completely worth it if you do it right.

Do you plan to keep the stock head unit or are you open to replacing with a better after market unit?

Hey thanks for your reply and sorry for the late response I had to dig up my amp. I complete forgot what I had.

Anyways I have a ROCKFORD FOSGATE PUNCH P600.1BD 600w MONO BLOCK AMPLIFIER
Amazon link >> http://www.amazon.com/ROCKFORD-FOSGA.../dp/B000HZGRJQ

So I will have to run a LOC by the infinity amp and Splice? into the front speakers wires and run RCA's to my amp. I'm kind of confused here. Am I completely disconnecting my factory sub (unplug at the rear) then running new speaker wire from my new sub to the rockford fosgate amp?

Also if I do my speakers and buy a new 5 channel amp with the speaker level inputs I don't need to buy an LOC? Can you explain the wiring?

Thanks for all your help appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

also how would I go abouts upgrading the front and soundbar speakers and sub then?

If I have a 5 channel amp with speaker leads?

Last edited by ginxer86; 05-21-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

G - ok so your amp is a mono sub amp that will do 600w into 2 ohms or 325 into 4 ohms. You say you are taking out the stock sub. Where are you putting the new one?

You say you want a new 8" but with that power you could go 10" in a small box. I am really high on Sundown SD-2 and 3 subs right now. They would give you a ton of bang for your buck but would likely overpower the stock speakers. If you go 8", get a dual 2ohm and wire it up as 4ohms so you are only drawing 325w. If you go 10" get a dual 4ohm and wire it as 2ohms to take all 600 watts. Depending where you put it, you will connect a LOC to either the sub wires running to the back or tap into the front speakers.

If you decide to REALLY upgrade, then add a 4 channel amp and some speakers. You would need a summing device like an Audiocontrol LC8i to convert all 8 channels to RCA inputs that would go to a new 4 channel amp. By the time you do that, you could pick out a new head unit with RCA out and really have a great new system.

Lots of options...
Old 05-22-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

G - ok so your amp is a mono sub amp that will do 600w into 2 ohms or 325 into 4 ohms. You say you are taking out the stock sub. Where are you putting the new one?

You say you want a new 8" but with that power you could go 10" in a small box. I am really high on Sundown SD-2 and 3 subs right now. They would give you a ton of bang for your buck but would likely overpower the stock speakers. If you go 8", get a dual 2ohm and wire it up as 4ohms so you are only drawing 325w. If you go 10" get a dual 4ohm and wire it as 2ohms to take all 600 watts. Depending where you put it, you will connect a LOC to either the sub wires running to the back or tap into the front speakers.

If you decide to REALLY upgrade, then add a 4 channel amp and some speakers. You would need a summing device like an Audiocontrol LC8i to convert all 8 channels to RCA inputs that would go to a new 4 channel amp. By the time you do that, you could pick out a new head unit with RCA out and really have a great new system.

Lots of options...

Hey Matt, Thanks for the reply.

I plan on putting a JL Audio 8W3V3-4 8" Single 4-Ohm W3V3 sub, replacing the stock sub in its exact place. i'll either dynomat it inside or polyfil. In that case how should i wire it? 2 ohms or 4? Should I use my other "Dual Amp that has 340watts" and wire it 4 ohm? the JL audio sub has 250 Watts RMS / 500 Peak. Is it safe if the amp over powers the watts RMS?

so for wiring, I'll splice the sub leads in the back subwoofer and connect on LOC and run my RCA's to the amp. But then I need to run new subwoofer speaker wire from my amp to the Jl audio sub right??
Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ginxer86
Hey Matt, Thanks for the reply. I plan on putting a JL Audio 8W3V3-4 8" Single 4-Ohm W3V3 sub, replacing the stock sub in its exact place. i'll either dynomat it inside or polyfil. In that case how should i wire it? 2 ohms or 4? Should I use my other "Dual Amp that has 340watts" and wire it 4 ohm? the JL audio sub has 250 Watts RMS / 500 Peak. Is it safe if the amp over powers the watts RMS? so for wiring, I'll splice the sub leads in the back subwoofer and connect on LOC and run my RCA's to the amp. But then I need to run new subwoofer speaker wire from my amp to the Jl audio sub right??
Yes wire it 4 ohms so you only draw 325 watts, just dial the gain back a little on your amp and you'll be fine. Use both dynomat and polyfill. I'd suggest new speaker wire from your amp to the new sub. You may need an MDF trim ring to space your woofer out, that woofer is 4 1/2" deep and the stock enclosure is around 3 1/2" deep if I remember correctly.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Yes wire it 4 ohms so you only draw 325 watts, just dial the gain back a little on your amp and you'll be fine. Use both dynomat and polyfill. I'd suggest new speaker wire from your amp to the new sub. You may need an MDF trim ring to space your woofer out, that woofer is 4 1/2" deep and the stock enclosure is around 3 1/2" deep if I remember correctly.
cool thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Need Help upgrading sound system