Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Neon Lights?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Neon Lights?

Anyone install the neon tube lights inside? If so, did you hardwire them? Ive seen these tubes available at my local auto store but they all come with the plug attached to go right into your power in the dash. Can this be cut off so that the lights can be wired to a switch?

Many thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never installed a set, and most likely never will, however if they are rated at 12VDC and plug into your power outlet on the dash, then they can be cut and hardwired into a power source or through the contacts of a switch, provided the switch contacts are rated high enough. When doing this, keep in mind that there is a positive and negative wire. it would most llikely not matter which is which, but I would keep the wires as they originally were, that is positive=positive and negitive=negitive. In addition ensure they are fused properly for their rating.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as they said before, yes they can be hardwired, some other guys have installed different lights indside IMO those neon tubes would be too much!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are just looking for a different colored interior light you can buy LED light bulbs to replace the dome light bulbs. You can find them at www.superbrightleds.com and they come in various colors and sizes.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Say "no" to neon
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bubbad323
Anyone install the neon tube lights inside? If so, did you hardwire them? Ive seen these tubes available at my local auto store but they all come with the plug attached to go right into your power in the dash. Can this be cut off so that the lights can be wired to a switch?

Many thanks
You are giving New Yorkers a bad name... As a friend I plead with you not to add neon to your Jeep.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petenice15
You are giving New Yorkers a bad name... As a friend I plead with you not to add neon to your Jeep.
Theres a long list of things that have given new yorkers a bad name...neon lights would be at the bottom of the list I think.

Okay, I missed the anti neon light policy when i joined. I have seen some other members who put the colored lights under the dashboard and to illuminate the center console and such. Was just interested in seeing if they could be hard wired. I like the neon blue that one f my switched throws off and would like a small tube under the center dash.

Since Im asking questions....I want to install hydraulics so that when my neon lights are on and the system is thumpin, I can feel like im in an Impala cruising south central LA. Any tips on this?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

too much for my taste.. but wiring them is a BREEZE.. just tap off the orange and black wires that go into the AC.. very easy

Quick Reply: Neon Lights?