Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New HU HELP . . . PLEASE

Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HU HELP . . . PLEASE

So I have a 2008 JK Rub w/ the awesome Infinity system. So awesome I am changing out.

Nevertheless, I bypassed the entire Infinity system and Installed a Kenwood DNX6190HD HU, Alpine MRX-V70 5 Chan Amp, Alpine SPS 610C front speakers, and Alpine SPS 610 for the sound bar.

I ran the HU power and ground off the stock radio grey plug and the switch power from the cig lighter. I ran the RCA from the HU to Amp and speaker new 12G speaker wires from the amp to each new speaker. I sanded off some paint in the back and used a tap screw to secure the 4G ground to the amp and then ran the 4G power w/ in-line fuse to the battery. I also connected the blue remote lead from the amp to the HU.

Everything powers up nicely and music plays but it is not loud as if the HU is providing the power. The amp is on and getting pretty warm I have to put the volume all the way up to 20 just to hear it? I am perplexed and need some help.

Could the amp be bad???? Am I missing something????

ELECTRONIC ANGELS PLEASE STOP BY AND SAVE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited by RedBeast; 06-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did ya turn the gain up on the amp..?? Looks like there are two.. One for the front and one for the rear speakers..
Old 06-10-2013, 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TokenMSJ
Did ya turn the gain up on the amp..?? Looks like there are two.. One for the front and one for the rear speakers..
I messed around with them but didn't see a major difference?
Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK.. so for gain.. Your head unit puts out 2V for the pre-amp RCA. This means the gain should be pretty high, if not almost all the way up. You can do the gain adjustment by putting it to normal, raising the radio volume till distortion and backing it off a couple clicks. Then raise the gain till distortion and back it off one click. Being that its only a 2V, you wont have as good of full range audio out with the gain increase.

On the head unit, did you adjust the equalizer? Also.. what is the max volume of the head unit?

Lastly is your crossover settings on the amp. Make sure the switch is in the off position so that the speakers are getting full signal (and no crossover settings are happening at the head unit) and then adjust the head unit crossover settings.

Sounds like you grounded it fine and the 4awg power wire should be plenty. The 2v pre-amp is a little bit of a hinderance but nothing terrible where it should sound super quiet.
Question is really... does it sound bad at volume 20? Or does it sound clear for days?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CoreyZ
OK.. so for gain.. Your head unit puts out 2V for the pre-amp RCA. This means the gain should be pretty high, if not almost all the way up. You can do the gain adjustment by putting it to normal, raising the radio volume till distortion and backing it off a couple clicks. Then raise the gain till distortion and back it off one click. Being that its only a 2V, you wont have as good of full range audio out with the gain increase.

On the head unit, did you adjust the equalizer? Also.. what is the max volume of the head unit?

Lastly is your crossover settings on the amp. Make sure the switch is in the off position so that the speakers are getting full signal (and no crossover settings are happening at the head unit) and then adjust the head unit crossover settings.

Sounds like you grounded it fine and the 4awg power wire should be plenty. The 2v pre-amp is a little bit of a hinderance but nothing terrible where it should sound super quiet.
Question is really... does it sound bad at volume 20? Or does it sound clear for days?
Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier . . . work . . . go figure. I just want to ride over everything all day!!!

Iam home and double checked everything . . . sober . . . apparently I wasn't impaired last night? Everything was correct to I zoomed in on what you recommended and PRESTO. It is LOUD at 17 of 35. Way way way loud enough even w/ 2V out. Gain is not even all the way up. The only issue, go figure, I have is if I get to 20 all the speakers stop? Ut oh what now? Everything still has power.

Thanks for your HELP!!!

Quick Reply: New HU HELP . . . PLEASE