Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New lightforce lights

Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New lightforce lights

Just installed 2 Lightforce 140's on the windshield and 2 Lightforce 170's with amber covers on the bumper. The 140's aren't as bright as the Kc 6" slimlights that they replaced, but I really like the look. The 170's are awesome.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi

Did you try the 170's on the windshield to see if they fit? I love that setup but want 170's all the way around if possible. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They fit. That's what I'm running right now. Lightforce Striker 170's on Smittybilt/MOPAR brackets.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

170's fit good!! and i have mine on a set of RC mounts. sorry no pics.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default lightforce

I really like the look of Lightforce lights. I am a little dissapointed in the light pattern versus my KC slimlites. The adjustable pattern is different-seems like I either have a pencil beam or a pattern with a hole in the center like a maglight flaslight. I give them thumbs up on looks-neutral on function.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Skippman, I LOVE the setup you have for the windshield lights..... I am thinking about doing this instead of the usual bumper fog lights....
2 Questions:
1. Think that is a good idea to be able to just get more light down the road.... I do not offroad... this is just for my long ass commute I have on dark hilly roads.
2. Do you think they would work but me buying the stock fog light kit and just wiring them up to look factory inside?

Thx,
Marc

HOLY COW, thx Scooter, those are over $200 for the pair? I can't afford that right now.... CRAP.... Any other ideas on what lights I could use with that setup that will be good but not cost so much?

Last edited by dali555; 12-02-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

If you're on a budget Hella's sometimes go on sale for as little as $50 a pair.

You will not be able to mount them in the factory driving light locations on the bumper due to the diameter of the lights otherwise you'd see me with a setup like that on my ARB bumper.

As far as adding extra lights for a long commute, that's not really what the Lightforce lights are for. Lightforce are intended to be super bright. Mine go several hundred yards without problems. You'd be better off with a set of Hella's like the 500's. I think TheOnlyRed picked up some for about $60 here recently and they seem to be plenty bright for what he's doing.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thx Skippman, What I meant by factory though was.... wiring them up factory but mounting them like you did on your windshield?

I was just looking at KC lights online.... kinda like those and they are just like the Hellas
Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

You could, but it wouldn't be practicle unless you wanted them to turn on EVERY time you turn on your hi-beams.

What you would want to do is use a tap splice to connect the signal/trigger line for your relay to the signal/trigger wire for your hi-beams rather than wiring it to a switch on your dash.

So when you turn on your hi-beams it sends a signal to the relay connected to your aftermarket lights which causes them to turn on. The downside to this is when your hi-beams are on your factory fogs will not turn on due to how the controls are designed. Also, you cannot independently shut off the aftermarket lights when it's wired in this arangement unless you do something like pull thier fuse.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a seperate switch for my lights. It's only slightly more expensive as you can purchase a cheap switch from Autozone for as little as $4.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, I don't have fog lights... so i thought if I bought the original style stalk that goes on the column and the original wiring I would then hook up the new lights and have it look factory inside the cabin.

If not then another separate switch would work for me

Quick Reply: New lightforce lights