Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Mopar Kicker speakers installed

Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation Tip

This is my first time posting on the forum.

I just installed this upgrade and wow what a difference.

I saw that alot of people were having trouble with the the install on the front speakers and I thought I would share my experience to help out.

I took some of the cardboard that the speakers were shipped in and wedged the dash panel away to give plenty of room to work. I did this by wedging it between the dash panel and the speaker mount just below the speaker. This made the install quite easy.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to review these speakers in the forum. It was a huge help in making the decision to purchase and I'm glad I did.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think these speakers are going to be my Christmas present...to me
Old 12-10-2010, 02:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Well, after running the Mopar Kicker speakers on the front two only (base RES unit) for many months, I finally upgraded the soundbar speakers yesterday. My assessment: 90% of the improvement is in the front two speakers. 10% is in the rear speakers. If you want/need to be frugal and have a base RES unit (perhaps others, but I can't say with authority), just replace the front two speakers for about $65. The improvement over the stock speakers is very dramatic.
I would probably agree with that. Your passengers in the back may notice the new speakers in the soundbar but you won't as the driver particularly. That said, if you replace the front two speakers AND the tweeters you'll notice the benefit even more. I hesitated at getting the tweeters but am damn glad I did now.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

may have to try this as well! I have the stock non infinity speakers.

Coming out of new german cars with harmon k logic, the jk is terrible!

I spent a lot of money updrading the sound system in my grand in high school...went through that phase. It was nuts! But not interested inspending thousands.

$70 for a nice updrade sounds good to me!

thanks to the op!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Had two sets delivered this week; just need to find some time this weekend to install.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wrangler07

I would probably agree with that. Your passengers in the back may notice the new speakers in the soundbar but you won't as the driver particularly. That said, if you replace the front two speakers AND the tweeters you'll notice the benefit even more. I hesitated at getting the tweeters but am damn glad I did now.
Which tweeters did you get? How is the install?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flaTerp
Which tweeters did you get? How is the install?
I got the Mopar/Kicker Super Tweeters. They're an easy install, 30 mins for the pair, and are plug and play:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_110.htm
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

quadratec just seems to have the rear speakers only. I was under the impression that the front and rears were the same size anyways, so should I just be ordering 2 of the rear kits from quadratec in order to replace all 4?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes they are both identical speakers.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2011 Kicker speakers install

I just installed the Kicker speakers front and rear in my new 2011 Sahara. It had the basic head unit with the Infinity amp/speakers/subwoofer. I think there are modest gains in clarity, especially in the mid to high range from the stock infinity speakers which do not have a separate tweeter. Install took about 1.5 hours. Purchased the 4 speaker Mopar kit from stevewhitemotors on eBay for $140 with free 2 day shipping. I have bought several things from them and they have competitive prices and quick shipping. I suggest doing the drivers side last-it is the hardest, and you will learn from the other three before starting here. Note that the instructions for the Wrangler install in the Mopar kit do NOT show the 2011 interior-it is different from earlier dashes and will require a few different techniques. I found it easiest to just remove the boxes the speakers are installed in, then doing the speaker swap outside the vehicle-much easier than trying to remove the three speaker mounting screws while they are installed in the dash. The driver's side was indeed the most difficult. I had to pull the dash WAAAAY out to get enough room to take out the speaker box, but again, much easier than trying to remove screws while installed in the dash.

Now I am contemplating doing the Nitro amp swap to increase the rear speaker levels. Anyone done this in a 2011 yet? Is it still the same swap? The amp in mine is located under the dash on the drivers' side. Very easy to get to. It looks like it would be an easy job.

Quick Reply: New Mopar Kicker speakers installed