Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

New Mopar Kicker speakers installed

Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Kicker install - tweaks vs. prior year installs

Someone along the way asked about the changes to replace speakers in a 2011. I just did mine this morning, and it took at most 60 minutes to do all four. Very simple The instructions are pretty close, but instead of removing 6 bolts per side, there are only 3 on passenger side and 4 on driver side. Also, there is only one under-steering wheel panel to rotate down, and none on the passenger side. For driver side, just remove panel below steering wheel, remove 4 bolts, remove side panel, bend dash panel out, remove two speaker enclosure side bolts (all bolts so far are 7 mm), and remove bottom (third) speaker enclosure bolt with Torx bit (sorry, I don't remember the size). Unplug speaker box and remove it. No big deal at all. Reinstall just reverse process. Passenger side was even easier. Remove glove box door, side panel, and 4 bolts. Bend panel outward, remove speaker enclosure as above, and slide box out. Again, very easy - even easier than drivers side. Sound bar speakers replace the same as previous models. T15 Torx bit. Sounds great. No distortion at much higher volumes versus stock. Highly recommended -- can now hear radio even on freeway with all windows down!

Last edited by elnapaz; 03-20-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elnapaz
I just measured the factory speakers I removed from my 2011 Wrangler and they are 4 ohms.
Do you have the factory Infinity system with the sub woofer or the base system? My '08 has the Infinity system, and at least the sound bar speakers are 2 ohms. I haven't pulled the dash speakers yet.

Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to know what the differences are and/or if they changed anything.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
Do you have the factory Infinity system with the sub woofer or the base system? My '08 has the Infinity system, and at least the sound bar speakers are 2 ohms. I haven't pulled the dash speakers yet.

Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to know what the differences are and/or if they changed anything.
No, I have the base system, not Infinity.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. Thanks.

I'd be willing to bet that the base stereos got 4 ohm speakers and the JK's with the upgraded Infinity systems got 2 ohm speakers.

That would make sense considering that Infinity is one of the few companies out there that offer standard sized speakers in 2 ohms. A few years ago, the only thing you could find in 2 ohm speakers were sub woofers.

That makes me think that the 4 ohm Kicker speakers would be a really nice improvement to the base system, but installing them into an Infinity system would be less dramatic of a difference.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

I installed them this week!!! WOW!!! What an improvement!!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Finished my install today, and they sound pretty good. No all i need is a good set of budget tweeters that fit in the "tombstones" on the dash. Any suggestions guys?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finished installing my pair of rear speakers in about 15 minutes, wow that was easy! They definitely sound better than the old speakers. Going to do the front speakers tomorrow. I will say though comparing weight wise, the new speakers feel 3x heavier than the old ones...

Originally Posted by Jk47
Finished my install today, and they sound pretty good. No all i need is a good set of budget tweeters that fit in the "tombstones" on the dash. Any suggestions guys?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_110.htm

Those seem interesting, not sure how well they work though.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nick526
Finished installing my pair of rear speakers in about 15 minutes, wow that was easy! They definitely sound better than the old speakers. Going to do the front speakers tomorrow. I will say though comparing weight wise, the new speakers feel 3x heavier than the old ones...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_110.htm

Those seem interesting, not sure how well they work though.
I have looked into the q-tech super tweets, but they cost almost the same as all 4 kicker replacment speakers and they stickout of the enclosure, making them look dumb.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

So are the kicker upgrades 2 ohm or 4 ohm? I don't want to waste the money if I am going to lose power.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

im going to go see if best buy has some kickers right now

Quick Reply: New Mopar Kicker speakers installed