Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

occasional "honk" when unlocking using the fob-key

Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem that may be somewhat related yesterday. I pulled into my garage after a drive, shut off the Jeep and opened the door. The alarm started going off, flashing the headlights and honking the horn. Nothing I could do would stop the alarm from going off. Tried pressing lock and unlock on the key fob multiple times, pressing and holding, unlocking the door manually with the key...even started the Jeep and it ran with the alarm still going off. I had to open the hood and disconnect the battery to get the alarm to stop. Once reconnected, everything has been normal since.

What a glitch...it was real pleasant with my head under the hood trying to disconnect the battery with the horn going off.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there are a few TSBs for Alarms acting up. But I think they're mostly Alarm-Remote keyless entry related. Look it up.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Different key/fob, same issue. It's happening daily.
Guess I'll present to the Stealership.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by o4major97
Brinks.....I have to ask.....does anything work correctly on your JK?
So far yes, but only 1000 miles on it. I just don't like the "Chrysler" way of servicing their customers.

I bought a jeep because I liked it and I wanted to give "Chrysler" another chance to do good with me. The story goes back to a 2002 Dodge Durango I had.

Well having to take the Jeep back the day after I bought it for a leaky, noisy roof and then getting the Jeep back in worse condition with paint chips and an improperly installed part & being treated like an ignorant fool (which was a mistake for them) didn't exactly revive my faith in "Chrysler". Even calling DC to explain my dissatisfation with the svc dept was worthless. Nobody there really cares.

So I do have an attitude toward them. I gave them my business again and they blew it right off the get go.

Love the vehicles, hate the maker.

Now does that answer your question?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I’ve had this happen... and at first I was like "WTF?" but now... I know why and how to make it happen when ever I want (as if I randomly want my jeep to "honk").

For me, if I click the lock button on the key either on purpose or by accident while a door is open, then close the door. The jeep will honk once when I go to unlock it using the button on the key.

If I lock it, and then unlock the door by reaching in the window thus setting the alarm off, then let the alarm run its course till it shuts off automatically. When I then click the unlock button, it'll give me 3 toots.

That’s what mine does... hopefully this helps.

Last edited by atomicmecha; 09-21-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Paul R
I had a problem that may be somewhat related yesterday. I pulled into my garage after a drive, shut off the Jeep and opened the door. The alarm started going off, flashing the headlights and honking the horn. Nothing I could do would stop the alarm from going off. Tried pressing lock and unlock on the key fob multiple times, pressing and holding, unlocking the door manually with the key...even started the Jeep and it ran with the alarm still going off. I had to open the hood and disconnect the battery to get the alarm to stop. Once reconnected, everything has been normal since.

What a glitch...it was real pleasant with my head under the hood trying to disconnect the battery with the horn going off.
make sure you didnt press the "panic" button by mistake. if you mash that little bugger the lock and unlock buttons won't do squat towards turning it off (which i think is stupid). only pressing the panic button will turn it off... or pulling the battery...

the panic alarm sounds very different from the normal car alarm. for once, i did what the manual says and made both go off to hear the difference so i know...
Old 09-23-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
I’ve had this happen... and at first I was like "WTF?" but now... I know why and how to make it happen when ever I want (as if I randomly want my jeep to "honk").

For me, if I click the lock button on the key either on purpose or by accident while a door is open, then close the door. The jeep will honk once when I go to unlock it using the button on the key.

If I lock it, and then unlock the door by reaching in the window thus setting the alarm off, then let the alarm run its course till it shuts off automatically. When I then click the unlock button, it'll give me 3 toots.

That’s what mine does... hopefully this helps.

yeah ive had that happen like 2 maybe 3 times....i wonder if thats what the problem is
Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't paid attention to how I locked the Jeep prior to a honk. I'll have to experiment.
It will be a nice suprise if this is explainable!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mhutch
Mine does this every now and then as well.
Also, when I lock it, sometimes it makes a full honk & sometimes makes a sad little half honk... :confused:
I noticed the "half honk" also, on occasion.
None of these things are a big deal, but my fear is if they go unchecked, bigger issues may evolve...

I haven't been able to experiment due to the dry weather (the doors and top are off!)
Old 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Should have done a search

i just posted this in another thread, and then immediately found this topic.

Originally Posted by Beanieson
i was leaving work, walking out to the parking lot in the rain when i pressed my key less entry. as soon as i pressed it my horn sounded once, and as i opened the rear swing gate i realized that my sat radio is on and playing the station that i always listen to. the radio turned off a second later and the jeep cranked up just fine.

now, i know that with the "alarm" equipped your horn will sound upon unlocking the jeep if someone has tampered with your jeep while you were away. however, i think that it is supposed to sound more than once if this were the case, and also i doubt the radio would be playing.

also, i was out in the jeep about 1 hour prior to this, with no incident. so i know the radio wasn't somehow playing all day long.

anyway, has this ever happened to anyone before? did i somehow press my unlock in some combo that turns on the radio for you? should i be concerned?

thanks ahead of time.

Quick Reply: occasional "honk" when unlocking using the fob-key