Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Odd TPMS issue after new wheels/sensors

Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

First: Please do not lecture me about just turning off the TPMS. I like it and want to keep it active. 2015 JKR. So the problem: Everything was working just fine with the stock system. A few days ago I mounted new Machete Crawl bead lock wheels with BFG 315/70-17 A/T tires. Rather than harvesting my original TPMS sensors from the stock wheels I decided to buy new ones for the new wheels. That way, if I EVER decide to put the stockers on for any reason, I don't have to play musical parts. I bought Schrader-brand 433 mHz. sensors since they make the OEM sensors. After a short drive my front wheels register their pressures, but the rears never do. I drive it for a couple of days and the warning system never goes away and the rears never read other than a dashed line. Yesterday I swap the rear wheels to the front and the fronts to the rear and take another drive. The fronts (Formerly the rears) are now reading in their new locations up front. The rears (formerly the fronts) now do not register. While I was swapping wheels I disconnected my battery during the entire process. I was surprised to see the TPMS warning still active after having the battery disconnected for about an hour, as I thought that alone would clear that fault code. So what's my next step? I'm contemplating breaking down ALL of the tires/wheels and placing the original sensors in my new wheels and putting the new sensors in my old wheels. But what a PITA that will be! Any other thoughts from y'all?? Thank you.

Last edited by any4xx; 05-06-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well... perhaps no one cares, but the problem WAS with the new sensors. I spent the better part of today breaking down all five original wheels/tires and all five new ones. Swapped the original sensors into the new wheels and vice versa. Now everything reads perfectly. I can only guess that the receiver built into the Jeep must be up front somewhere, as all of the replacement sensors worked just fine when mounted to the front axle, but none of them would read when mounted on the back. Lesson learned. Hopefully this tidbit can save one of you from the same sad discovery. For me: even though they are Schader brand, no more Amazon sensors,

Last edited by any4xx; 05-06-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Odd TPMS issue after new wheels/sensors