Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Only Driver's Side High Beam Works!

Old 05-24-2017, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only Driver's Side High Beam Works!

Hi everyone, I'n new to the forum and before posting this I did search the threads to see if there was an answer already posted. I know what it's like to have a new guy jump in for a quick fix without doing some research first. Didn't see anything...so here goes.

Just bought a '07 JK X. Had both axle seals to replace and ball joints, but other than that it was in pretty good shape.

Went to get it inspected and they discovered that the passenger side high beam doesn't work. Both low beams work, but when the high beams are turned on the pass side just goes out. Driver's side works fine. Bulb is good, and we put the working driver's side into the pass side socket and we get the same thing, no high beam. Seems like an electrical issue with just the high beam. Could this be a bad TIPM? I have no other funky electrical issues. Everything works great. The multi-switch lever is a bit problematic when using the blinkers, almost like it's been worn out a bit, the R/L blinker positions aren't all that stiff, but they work.

Any thoughts here? I'd hate to change out the whole TIPM if that's not it. The wiring seems to be fairly straight forward. if the drivers side works I can't imagine it's the switch. Headlight fuses seem to be ganged seperately for right hi/lo and left hi/lo on separate curcuits, so the fuse is good. And oh yeah, no bent plug terminals either.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Last edited by Klav802; 05-24-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm puzzled by your comment about the headlight fuses.
The headlights in the JKs don't have conventional fuses. They are controlled and protected from overload by two MOSFETs inside the TIPM. One is left HI and right LOW; the other is right HI and left LOW.
I guess it's possible the 2007 JKs are different, but I doubt it.

I would check for power at the socket. If no power there, the easiest thing to do is let the dealer check it with their scan tool. With it, they can look at the communications from the stalk, through the cluster, to the TIPM output.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

I may have made a bad assumption that M22 and M23 fuses (RT hi/lo, LT hi/lo) where headlights. But now as I'm doing some more reading I see that this is not the case. What are the chances of a connector being bad between the headlight and the TIPM? These all seem to be sealed up good and I've never seen a electrical connector like this just fail out of the blue. With some investigation it doesn't look like anyone has fooled with the any wiring between the passenger headlight and the TIPM. Can the dealer diagnose this fairly quickly?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Klav802
I may have made a bad assumption that M22 and M23 fuses (RT hi/lo, LT hi/lo) where headlights. But now as I'm doing some more reading I see that this is not the case. What are the chances of a connector being bad between the headlight and the TIPM? These all seem to be sealed up good and I've never seen a electrical connector like this just fail out of the blue. With some investigation it doesn't look like anyone has fooled with the any wiring between the passenger headlight and the TIPM. Can the dealer diagnose this fairly quickly?
use a 12v test light and check to see if you have power going to the connector? Once you have that answer then you can start working back. Chasing wires sucks but the more you can eleminate help narrow down what needs to be replaced and when you do take it to the dealer you know what needs to be replaced and will not get taken to the cleaners.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas
use a 12v test light and check to see if you have power going to the connector? Once you have that answer then you can start working back. Chasing wires sucks but the more you can eleminate help narrow down what needs to be replaced and when you do take it to the dealer you know what needs to be replaced and will not get taken to the cleaners.
The dealer wouldn't take me to the cleaners, would they????????? <insert sarcasm here>

What if I check all the connections back to the TIPM and I get nothing? Does that mean it most likely eliminates everything but the TIPM? I would assume that if the multifunction switch on the column is working for everything else, including the other high beam, it's probably not anything between the switch in the fuse box...safe bet?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wouldn't happen to have Led headlights? If yes, you might have the anti-flicker harness issue that I had on my 2007,
My passenger headlight would cut out when ever I turned on the brights. To solve it, I had to remove the anti-flicker harness on just the passenger side.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jndrobel
You wouldn't happen to have Led headlights? If yes, you might have the anti-flicker harness issue that I had on my 2007,
My passenger headlight would cut out when ever I turned on the brights. To solve it, I had to remove the anti-flicker harness on just the passenger side.
Funny you should ask. I recently bought the car out of state with the OEM HL's and before bringing it to get inspected I couldn't help myself and switched out the stock headlights for a new set of LED's with halos. That's when I noticed that the pass side bright didn't work. Originally I thought it was the Chinese manufactured lamp but after playing with both lights found out that it wasn't the HL unit but the car that was the issue. While doing research I did come across people having the same issue as you with the pass side anti flicker issue, so to make sure that wasn't the case I plugged the old OEM HL's in and the pass side high beam still doesn't work. The only thing I didn't check was whether the high beam bulb was gone. The OEM headlamps use a single bulb with both high beam and low beams filaments in one, correct?

The LED's that I bought came with the anti flicker harness (Xprite 7" LED with Halo), but you can't plug the lights into the car without the anti-flicker harness connected...the wiring lead coming from the lamp itself isn't compatible with the stock HL connector on the vehicle...thought that was strange.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oem

I switched out my headlights for Hella H4s but was sent the wrong harness. Sometime after rigging the wires (a long ugly story) I started having intermittent issues. I thought it was my rig job but discovered the factory plugs into the wiring harness have extremely small connectors. Since I cut those out I haven't had any problems.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

Hey guys, so I'm actually having a very similar problem. Just got a pair of LED headlights, installed them, and omw home, i noticed the highbeam would cut out on the PAX side. Spent about an hour in my drive way at night trying to see if it was the light or the harness, but after hooking up the OEM headlight, the same problem was happening. I know this wasn't an issue before installing the new headlights. Please help!
Old 08-27-2018, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

I was having an issue with the conversion harness for my H4 headlights. One harness has a poor wire connection at the OE connector and I was loosing one side completely. I had to run a zip tie across the connectors to keep them tight and position them to keep the wires straight into the connector.

Quick Reply: Only Driver's Side High Beam Works!