Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Optima Yellow-Top battery-how long should it last?

Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Yellow-Top battery-how long should it last?

Just like the title says. I"m wondering if my optima is shot after 3.5 years. I had to jump start after sitting for a week. Had to jump it again two days ago, again after a week of sitting. Went to use this morning and won't start again after only 2 days of sitting. It has been very cold here (lows slightly below freezing) but the jeep is garaged. Battery is about 3.5 years old. I put it in place of stock battery when I installed a winch. Any thoughts from Optima owners? This battery was pricey. I was under the impression this was a really durable, high-performing battery when I purchased it.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmwranglerx
Just like the title says. I"m wondering if my optima is shot after 3.5 years. I had to jump start after sitting for a week. Had to jump it again two days ago, again after a week of sitting. Went to use this morning and won't start again after only 2 days of sitting. It has been very cold here (lows slightly below freezing) but the jeep is garaged. Battery is about 3.5 years old. I put it in place of stock battery when I installed a winch. Any thoughts from Optima owners? This battery was pricey. I was under the impression this was a really durable, high-performing battery when I purchased it.
Take it somewhere to get load tested.

Sent from my super cool Note 3
Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default use

I would imagine that heavy use and cold temps shorten it's life.

I bought a yellow top for my Tahoe in summer 09 because the OEM battery couldn't run the radio for an hour strait then start the truck.

It's still working fine for me...
Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Is it serviceable? You can sometimes open them up and test the cells, you might just have one bad cell that u could add acid to?
Old 11-25-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine lasted 2 years, still under warranty. Free replacement.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check the alternator for proper charging, or the electric system for a short?

How much did you drive it between storage periods, and in what conditions -- enough to charge it, or in the city?

At around zero, batteries don't perform well. Is the garage heated?...

A yellow top should last much more than 3.5 years.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie

Isn't the yellow top a deep cycle, eg: not for daily use? I've been running the same Optima (albeit Red Top) for.......8 years now through multiple trucks, with various winch and light setups, all sorts of weather, and it's yet to let me down.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a yellow and yes it is a deep cycle battery. I haven't had any issues with mine and I am approaching the 3 year mark. It is a lot warmer in Florida so I am wondering if it has to do with temperatures.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The yellow top is great with its manufacturer warranty. Mine's been perfect so far.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with GJeep. I would check ur alternator. It could also be a battery that was bad to begin with. Its not likly but it could happen. Sometimes stufd slips through the cracks. I have it load tested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Optima Yellow-Top battery-how long should it last?