Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Options for new amp, keeping mygig HU. How to send bass signal?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Options for new amp, keeping mygig HU. How to send bass signal?

Ihave been reading more than I care to about the infinity system that came with my Jeep (2010 Wrangler with the RER MyGig nav radio). Like many others I thought the stock system was better than most, but still in need of an upgrade. It appears that the amplifier is the culprit for the crappy sound coming out of the sound bar. To that end there appears to be several options:

1. Get the 2008 Nitro amp and swap it in. (fairly cheap, may get accidentally reflashed and ruin the sound) doesn't seem like a long term option.

2. Use an aftermarket amp (Like the Alpine PDX-5 in the factory location) This will give you the most flexability and be future proof should I decide to get a new headunit.

I'm leaning towards option 2 and intend to use the PAC audio C2A-CHY2 harness to rid myself of the crappy EQ settings on the rear speakers from the factory. The more powerful amp should also give the whole system some more punch. I plan on replacing the factory speakers as well. (Focal/JL Audio/CDS)

Looking at the PAC website it looks as though the adapters only give you 4 channels (Front and rear L&R) The Alpine PDX-5 only accepts RCA inputs for signal input.

I was wondering how to go about getting the bass into the Alpine amplifer as well. I have not heard any discussion about how to get this accomplished. Or are people just leaving the factory amp in place to power the weak 8" sub? Seems like a waste if I have 300 W on the Alpine amp ready to tear up the paper cone speaker in the back. Is there a Y cable or something people use to get the rear speaker signal to the sub?

Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have to get the signal going to the subwoofer already and run that signal to the aftermarket alpine amp then from the amp to the aftermarket subwoofer. I have 2 amps one for my highs and mids the other just for my 2 12" mtx thunder subs and I still have my factory radio (for now)

Quick Reply: Options for new amp, keeping mygig HU. How to send bass signal?