Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Parasitic drain from Radio

Old 12-23-2015, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parasitic drain from Radio

My 2011 Jk battery was constantly draining even with the battery charger hooked up. I finally motivated and did a parasitic drain test and sure enough when I pulled the radio fuse the amps went way down. Now my batteries are holding charge no problem. So my question is what could it be on the radio that is causing this drain to occur? Its a stock Jk head unit with sat radio and NAV...
TIA
Old 12-23-2015, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been trying to track down a power draw myself for the past year. My Optima Yellow Top will be dead in 2 1/2 days unless it's driven, or the battery is disconnected. I read something about the radio not letting the CANBUS system go to sleep, not sure of the fix though. Let me do some snooping. How do you perform the parasitic draw test btw?
Old 12-23-2015, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the amp draw?
you don't have LED dome lights do you?
Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsukey
I've been trying to track down a power draw myself for the past year. My Optima Yellow Top will be dead in 2 1/2 days unless it's driven, or the battery is disconnected. I read something about the radio not letting the CANBUS system go to sleep, not sure of the fix though. Let me do some snooping. How do you perform the parasitic draw test btw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jchappies
Whats the amp draw?
you don't have LED dome lights do you?
No LED dome lights just the standard bulb...
Amp draw is at about 3.0 with the radio fuse in.. When I pull the radio fuse it drops to about .85
Old 12-23-2015, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

I read some other threads about the radios not fully powering down, and draining the battery. They were replaced by the dealer, but only if you're still under warranty. That fixed their problem. Thanks for the video! Super helpful, can't wait to give it a shot when I have the time!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsukey
I read some other threads about the radios not fully powering down, and draining the battery. They were replaced by the dealer, but only if you're still under warranty. That fixed their problem. Thanks for the video! Super helpful, can't wait to give it a shot when I have the time!
My pleasure. Thx for the tip on the radios having to be replaced. I look forward to hear what you find is the culprit on your jeep. Once you get the meter hooked up id go straight to that radio fuse... Good luck!!
Old 12-23-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

That will be my first stop! If that's not the culprit, the next in line will be the amp, Rigid Dually's, 12" light bar, front and rear lockers, followed along with the 4 associated switches for them! Ready to get this solved! Best of luck to you as well!

Quick Reply: Parasitic drain from Radio