Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Parking lights will come on but turn signal does not

Old 03-28-2015, 03:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking lights will come on but turn signal does not

So my front turn signals do not blink as they should, or at all for that matter, when I attempt to turn them on with the lever or with the hazard switch. However, when I turn the parking lights on and the headlights they shine like they should but still won't blink. The rear signals blink properly and after being on for about 5 seconds speed up as if a bulb is out. I changed the bulbs properly wearing gloves and using dielectric grease to attempt the easiest solution. I do not regularly work with electrical or wiring issues so please excuse the newbie if this is a super simple solution. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

The lamp has two filaments in it. One for park, and one for turn.

You may have a bad connection up front somewhere, and the "dielectric grease" you used may even make the connection in the socket worse.
If both front turn signals don't work, it could be a bad connection in the harness, or a bad ground that is common to both.

Clean out the grease with some brake cleaner. All you can do is use a meter to check for ground and power in the sockets. If you are still covered by warranty, let the dealer sort it out. (No mention in your post or profile what you have for a JK.)
Old 03-28-2015, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I'll have to borrow a meter from a friend and yeah sorry about the lack of info on my jeep, It's a 2011 JK Sport. I only have the power train warranty left on it unfortunately. Thanks for the quick response too
Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MedicJeeper
Thanks, I'll have to borrow a meter from a friend and yeah sorry about the lack of info on my jeep, It's a 2011 JK Sport. I only have the power train warranty left on it unfortunately. Thanks for the quick response too
The turn signals use a harness and a mount and then a locking mount with the led attachrd. Make sure the mounts arent giving you problems. I had that issue and thats what it was.

Quick Reply: Parking lights will come on but turn signal does not