Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Pillar mounted winch switch

Old 03-03-2018, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pillar mounted winch switch

I apologize ahead of time if this is the wrong place, but does anyone know of a pillar mount with multiple switch like the apollointech version that can handle the amperage and draw from running a winch power through it? Im guessing it needs to handle about 400amps for the winch plaus what ever else i wire the other accessories to it as well.

im also open to the idea of an overhead unit like the spod as well, i mainly want to clean up all the bs wires the previous owner has all over the engine bay, thanks!
Old 03-05-2018, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Winch is gonna need to be wired directly to the battery for power. Running it to a switch is not going to suffice.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No you don't need a high amp switch... you just tap into the wires that the normal wired controller uses and install the switches inside the cab. You should make a master on off (so you don't accidentally hit the switch) and then use a momentary on-off-on to control it just like the wired remote. The winch itself still goes directly to the battery to handle the high amperage as the switch just triggers the relays.

example

Quick Reply: Pillar mounted winch switch