Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Please critique my stereo upgrade plan. 2012 JK Sport

Old 07-29-2016, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please critique my stereo upgrade plan. 2012 JK Sport

Hey gang...first post so please go easy. It's been a long time since I was seriously into car audio but I love good music and have a musical ear...so the stock JK stereo is killing me. Yes I understand that there are going to be limitations to how good this could ever sound as I drive with the doors off and windows out if not top down...but I want it to sound as good as possible....under $2k.

So here was my plan....upgrade everything and add a sub (I have the totally base no sub stereo currently). I use an iPhone so I would like integration at some level, don't really care about sat radio but it seems to be a thing for most HUs. Don't care about Navigation...don't really care about having a big touch screen. I initially was going to get the Kicker upgrade speakers and PowerStage sub....but then I rad some things here that made me second guess that choice. So I went to Crutchfield and put some stuff together. Let me know what you think:

• Alpine CDE-145BT HU - $249.99
  • Polk Audio DB6502 separates up front - $169.99
  • Polk Audio DB652 2 way in the roll bar - $89.99
  • Alpine PDX9 5 channel amp providing the power - $699.99
  • JL Audio Stealthbox - $699.99

I've heard that there are some custom options for sub boxes...one from a user here. But it looked like that was for the JKU and not the 2 door JK. If there's a better option for any of these (or a better deal) please let me hear it. I want to get the best sound for my money and a nice, clean and easy as possible installation.

Thanks

Edit: updating system as my mind changes.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 07-29-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Hey gang...first post so please go easy. It's been a long time since I was seriously into car audio but I love good music and have a musical ear...so the stock JK stereo is killing me. Yes I understand that there are going to be limitations to how good this could ever sound as I drive with the doors off and windows out if not top down...but I want it to sound as good as possible....under $2k. So here was my plan....upgrade everything and add a sub (I have the totally base no sub stereo currently). I use an iPhone so I would like integration at some level, don't really care about sat radio but it seems to be a thing for most HUs. Don't care about Navigation...don't really care about having a big touch screen. I initially was going to get the Kicker upgrade speakers and PowerStage sub....but then I rad some things here that made me second guess that choice. So I went to Crutchfield and put some stuff together. Let me know what you think:[*]Alpine CDE-SXM145BT HU - $209.99 less $70 mail in rebate[*]Polk Audio DB6502 separates up front - $169.99[*]Polk Audio DB652 2 way in the roll bar - $89.99[*]Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D 5 channel amp providing the power - $199.99[*]JL Audio Stealthbox - $699.99 I've heard that there are some custom options for sub boxes...one from a user here. But it looked like that was for the JKU and not the 2 door JK. If there's a better option for any of these (or a better deal) please let me hear it. I want to get the best sound for my money and a nice, clean and easy as possible installation. Thanks
The polks seem fine. I've had them and liked them (the DB651s though).

Get a better quality amp. Don't want to cheap out on an amp. I'd go with a Rockford, JL, or Alpine amp. You want one that has an RMS output matching or slightly higher then your speakers. Could technically go slightly lower. The alpine pdx9 is a great amp and will drive what you want perfectly. Can get it with the extra money saved from the overpriced JL stealth box that will take up your storage space in the rear.

The sub that a user here sales goes under the passenger or driver seat. No difference between the 2 and 4 door as far as I'm aware.

The alpine radio you picked only has 4ch output. You want something that will have front speaker output, rear speaker output, and sub output. Will run 3 RCA cables to from the head unit to the amp and then run all speakers off the amp. So you need to find another head unit.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
The polks seem fine. I've had them and liked them (the DB651s though).

Get a better quality amp. Don't want to cheap out on an amp. I'd go with a Rockford, JL, or Alpine amp. You want one that has an RMS output matching or slightly higher then your speakers. Could technically go slightly lower. The alpine pdx9 is a great amp and will drive what you want perfectly. Can get it with the extra money saved from the overpriced JL stealth box that will take up your storage space in the rear.

The sub that a user here sales goes under the passenger or driver seat. No difference between the 2 and 4 door as far as I'm aware.

The alpine radio you picked only has 4ch output. You want something that will have front speaker output, rear speaker output, and sub output. Will run 3 RCA cables to from the head unit to the amp and then run all speakers off the amp. So you need to find another head unit.
Ok so more amp....and Alpine CDE-164BT HU instead for added output.

Really need 3 sets of RCAs? Could run 1 set and use the amp for all crossover and to control front and rear levels right? I'm rather shocked that car audio hasn't gone digital for output. One HDMI or display port cable can carry all the signals and make for a MUCH cleaner installation and eliminate and chance of alternator noise induced into the RCAs.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Ok so more amp....and Alpine CDE-164BT HU instead for added output. Really need 3 sets of RCAs? Could run 1 set and use the amp for all crossover and to control front and rear levels right? I'm rather shocked that car audio hasn't gone digital for output. One HDMI or display port cable can carry all the signals and make for a MUCH cleaner installation and eliminate and chance of alternator noise induced into the RCAs.
Unless something has changed and I'm not an expert you need some kind of input/output for each channel. Your right in saying that the amp will control everything you asked about but still need to get the signal from head unit to amp. So yes you'll need 3 RCAs to do this thing properly.

I agree with you. I still install home theater systems and how the car industry hasn't caught up yet is beyond me.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Unless something has changed and I'm not an expert you need some kind of input/output for each channel. Your right in saying that the amp will control everything you asked about but still need to get the signal from head unit to amp. So yes you'll need 3 RCAs to do this thing properly.

I agree with you. I still install home theater systems and how the car industry hasn't caught up yet is beyond me.
Number of RCAs basically comes down to how you want to control the sound. If you want to be able to control your fader from the HU then you need a minimum of 2 sets of RCAs. I'm not sure if you need 3 at all. The Alpine amp you suggest for instance can take the full range single from 1 set of RCAs and do all the magic to all 5 channels. Or you can run 2 sets and allow it to split out the sub channel from those signals...or you can send it all the info separately. Advantages of a single cable are that you have a cleaner install but you lose the HU control of the fader and HU control of crossovers...you're relying on the AMP settings to do all the work. I'll be honest and say I'm not sure what advantages there are to running 3 sets of RCAs other then control of all sound functions/levels from the HU.

In my experience in the past, once you get them the way you want them, you don't mess with the settings that much so HU control doesn't really matter. Basically a neat toy at that point.

Yeah it boggles my mind why the car audio sector wants to convert a digital signal to analog. Send that analog signal, that can be interfered with to an amp that's potentially digital (like the Alpine unit) and convert it back to digital. I guess it's all the analog amp makers out there driving it...or maybe Monster Cable and their hysterically overpriced RCA cables.

You'd think Alpine, selling digital amps, would put a pure digital system together with digital interconnect.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Seems like a good system on paper.

Have you listened to the Polk speakers you list? If you can, compare the DBs to the MMs. I think the MMs sound better but speakers are a personal preference.

Best to listen before you buy.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Seems like a good system on paper.

Have you listened to the Polk speakers you list? If you can, compare the DBs to the MMs. I think the MMs sound better but speakers are a personal preference.

Best to listen before you buy.
Wize advice I have db's they are nice but MM's will problem be in the future.
Mattk11, any more boxes pm me if u got a driver side LOL!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Former Vendor

Polk DBs are a really great sounding speaker for their price.

The MM's just plain rock, when you give them enough power. They're a decent jump in price and you'd probably be spending a decent bit more on an amp.

We just did DBs in speaker cans and 5.25 DBs in the dash of my cousin's TJ with a 45W RMS x 4 amp and it really sounds good. Especially considering the investment.

But I have all Mobile Monitor Ultra Marine in my rig, and I've probably already suffered hearing loss.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

So no I haven't listened to any speakers...we used to have a couple of good shops here but they have all gone away. I think maybe the one is still in business but they are VERY small now. I was going Polk based on my past (way past) experience with them. Yeah the MMs are a big jump in price though looks like they are on sale currently. While I want a good upgrade to my sound I'm not going to go too crazy. Really capping the entire system at $2k.

It is nice that VW has finally announced the dollar figures I will be getting for my Jetta TDI this fall. I will have $5,100 that I'm going to split between this stereo and a large lump payment.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Run 1 rca for every channel, so your HU can control front to back fading, and subwoofer level... so 2 1/2 sets. Your plan looks sound but definitely include a sub of some sort. Physics are physics so keep that in mind, you won't get tons of bass especially when convertible, out of a 6" subwoofer under your seat.

PS - I have an alpine HU that has fiber optic out to a DSP sound processor with a microphone that does phase and time alignment. The DSP generates white noise and tunes the digital parametric eq built into the dsp. The equipment is about 10 years old, still top of the line. Car audio isn't as antiquated as you might think. The fiber keeps the signal clean.

Last edited by TacticalTankJKUR; 08-03-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Please critique my stereo upgrade plan. 2012 JK Sport