Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Popping and Crackling

Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the head unit. The dealership replaced mine and it's still there.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

I would bet it's the amp.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

How many folks experiencing this problem have hard tops? I've been having the problem off and on since I got my Jeep in 2007 and just realized when I took my hard top off for the spring the problem has completely gone away. Only thing I can figure is the electrical connector for the rear window wiper has a short that is crossing thru to the same circuit as some component of the stereo.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a soft top and have the problem.

If I wiggle the wire around and try to direct the wire away from my Sirius unit the noise mostly goes away but does come back as the wire moves back.

Also, I do not have this problem when running my Sirius of battery power, I only have the noise when the unit is plugged into the cig lighter.

Anyone else not have the problem when running a devce off battery power?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Well I have some info that might help a few out. I was sure this noise was coming from the electrical system (I had no issues when running off my Sirius S50 internal battery, only happened when plugged in to the cigarette jack). So I decided to bypass the Jeep internal wiring to the cigarette lighter and run a wire straight from the battery to my receiver, well I fried my S50 (didn't realize it needed 5V instead of 12V I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed). All is good though because I hated that freaking S50. Anyways, I went out and bought a Stiletto 2 and now I have no popping noise issues at all! I'm so happy, that noise was driving me insane! I tried all kinds of things in the past to get rid of the noise (ground loop isolators, new wires, running off FM modulator, etc...) and nothing worked. I spent $200 on a Stiletto and all is good, best $200 ever spent!

Quick Reply: Popping and Crackling