Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Power Outlet Question

Old 07-17-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Outlet Question

OK, so my GPS's power cord fell apart and I *think* the end of it might be stuck in my right power outlet (not sure)

When I look inside of the right power outlet, I can see a black plastic ring with a metal center. But when I plug something into the outlet, it does work ...

On the left hand side (where the cigarette lighter goes) I do not see this black plastic ring.

Did the end of my GPS's power cord end up somewhere else inside my Jeep and I have nothing else to worry about?

I assumed it was stuck in the power outlet (RH side) because the LH side outlet did not have that black plastic ring inside. Never looked inside either outlet before yesterday. Like I said, both sides work, I just thought I had something stuck in mine.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I just looked at mine. You'd have thunk they'd both be the same, but mine are the same as yours. Sounds like the missing piece of the GPS connector is laying on the floor somewheres.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found some of the missing connector underneath the driver's seat. I was looking for an excuse to buy a new GPS anyway.

Thanks for checking yours! I sure am glad I don't have to rip apart the dash now ...
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one is for a cig push in lighter... the other is for plug in devices... if you dont get the smoking option they both have plugs and not push button smoke lighter things so they seem to be the same but they are not...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

Hopefully no one buy a cigarette lighter and plugs it into the wrong side!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

This same thing just happened to me with my Garmin's power connector. I assumed the end was still in there as well. I will have to check if it still works.

Quick Reply: Power Outlet Question