Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Power Running Board Problem

Old 06-09-2020, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Running Board Problem

I have Amp Research PowerStep Running Boards on my Jeep that are wired into a 3-way toggle switch so that you can put them in 3 modes. Stay Up, Stay Down and door activated. Im having problems with them when I put it in the "up" mode with it reverting back to the door activated mode. Any idea's on what the problem could be?
Old 06-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you put it in "stay down" mode, do they stay down? What's the grounding situation look like on the back of the switch? Is the switch sloppy, indicating potential wear and thus the contacts won't hold your setting?
Old 06-09-2020, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If you put it in "stay down" mode, do they stay down? What's the grounding situation look like on the back of the switch? Is the switch sloppy, indicating potential wear and thus the contacts won't hold your setting?
All very good questions and a great place to start. I will dig into this when I get home and see what I come up with.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

LOL, that mud you ran through in your new member pics probably isn't going to help with things like that. Welcome to the Forum. Nice to see you're already having fun with the jeep. I'm just playing with ya....the mud probably has nothing to do with that, but always keep electronics in mind when getting in water and mud.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
LOL, that mud you ran through in your new member pics probably isn't going to help with things like that. Welcome to the Forum. Nice to see you're already having fun with the jeep. I'm just playing with ya....the mud probably has nothing to do with that, but always keep electronics in mind when getting in water and mud.
I know, I know, But I couldn’t help myself, 😂. And you’re right they were doing that before the mud. Id like to get this figured out because I’m gonna get rid of them. Didn’t want them but they came on the Jeep. Gonna use the money towards re-gearing the D44 to 4.88.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

If you're going to sell them, I wouldn't worry about it too much. it's probably a quirk to how the previous owner wired them into that specific jeep more than something wrong with the units themself. I'd just pull them off as is, take a look at what comes with new ones, and try to provide as much wiring that would otherwise come to whoever buys them.

Quick Reply: Power Running Board Problem