Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Problems with switch pod and battery

Old 12-28-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with switch pod and battery

During the summer I purchased and installed a Rough Country MLC-6 switch pod into my 2015 JK. Installation was pretty easy and I was very happy with it.

However, several months later something strange started to happen: every once in a while, the battery would be just completely dead. I try to start it, nothing happens, and none of the electronics (including the odometer) work; it acts like the battery isn't connected to the vehicle at all. If I jump start it, everything is fine again, at least for a while (days or weeks at a time), but then it happens again. I disconnected the switch pod from the battery at least a month ago, and haven't had any trouble since.

Any ideas why this would be happening? Is it maybe the LEDs in the rocker switches (which are always on) slowly draining the battery?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Loose battery connection? Also I've read many places that factory batteries only last about 2 years, then wonky stuff tends to start happening.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need to add a 150 Amp to 200 Amp solenoid to the system(depending on what your load is). This will prevent it from draining your battery and make all accessories work of ignition. https://www.amazon.com/HERSEE-TERMINAL-CONTINUOUS-SOLENOID-24213BX/dp/B00FGJIJR6
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wuebben.2
Loose battery connection? Also I've read many places that factory batteries only last about 2 years, then wonky stuff tends to start happening.
The battery connection to the vehicle is pretty solid, I don't think that's the issue, but I do have a set of battery terminals / busses that I installed with my winch. I might try removing those and seeing if it still has issues, but it seems unlikely since they've been in there for years before I had any issues, and since disconnecting the switch pod, I haven't had any more issues. I suppose my next step would be to have Autozone test the battery for any issues.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Go to any of the regular auto parts stores and have them test your battery. (they come right out to the car, ezpz) Like Wuebben.2 mentioned, my battery indeed only lasted two years, then was replaced under warranty.

Quick Reply: Problems with switch pod and battery