Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Questions about adding an aftermarket sub to Infinity system

Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about adding an aftermarket sub to Infinity system

So I want to replace the stock sub, but I have a few nagging questions I can't quite sort out.

The biggest thing has to do with the bass rolloff at higher volumes. What exactly controls this? If I add an aftermarket sub, how do I avoid having the gain cut out when the system reaches higher volumes? Does the rolloff only apply to the sub, or all the speakers?

What about a LOC? I understand most aren't rated for high power input...so what happens when I tap into an amplified signal?

For those who have done it, what exactly did you do? What components (specifically the LOC) did you use? Do you still get the rolloff at higher volumes?

I'm having a tough time getting my head around this all. For a "premium" sound system, it seems quite crippled.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

"Crippled" is definately a term I would agree with. I didn't have any luck with a LOC when I first started playing around with changing things, although many people are quite happy with using a LOC to run a new amp and sub. Running a new amp will help give you the boost and fill in that drop off you're describing.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Clint
"Crippled" is definately a term I would agree with. I didn't have any luck with a LOC when I first started playing around with changing things, although many people are quite happy with using a LOC to run a new amp and sub. Running a new amp will help give you the boost and fill in that drop off you're describing.
When you were trying the LOC and didn't have luck with it, where were you grabbing your signal from? If you were taking it from the sub input was it still rolling off the bass at higher volume? I'm thinking if only the sub inpt drops off then maybe grabbing the signal from the soundbar or front speakers would get around that issue.

The other option is something like the MTX RE-Q which will normalize the output and get rid of the rolloff, though it's a little on the expensive side
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nobody else?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

What the hell is a LOC?? sorry if thats a stupid question
Old 03-25-2009, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swanni06
What the hell is a LOC?? sorry if thats a stupid question
LOC is short for Line Out Converter...basically it'll let you take your output signal from a speaker wire and convert it to an RCA output that you can plug into an amp
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I didnt read all of the posts.

But you can try a sub with an amp that has an independent bass control. you can go higher or lower depending on the music and bass mhz output.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cesar
Sorry I didnt read all of the posts.

But you can try a sub with an amp that has an independent bass control. you can go higher or lower depending on the music and bass mhz output.
I'll definitely be getting an amp with a remote gain control, since the MyGig doesn't have anything in the way of actual sub control.

The downside of a remote gain control like that is you'll be stuck constantly tweaking it if the bass drops off at higher volumes. This is where a unit like the RE-Q becomes very useful.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geezle
LOC is short for Line Out Converter...basically it'll let you take your output signal from a speaker wire and convert it to an RCA output that you can plug into an amp
Oh ok lol thanks for the info
Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

[IMG]box resize.jpg[/IMG]
I made this box for a JL audio 10" sub, and it kicks, all the power wires are made to quick disconnect, I took out the old sub, in its place we mounted a Rockford Fosgate amp. We looked at several options at the audio store and this seemed to be the easiest, better than the Infinity bass link.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	box resize.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	21331  

Quick Reply: Questions about adding an aftermarket sub to Infinity system