Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Questions about electrical

Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess that's kinda what I was getting at was should I run duel batts, but like I learned earlier a batt is just the holding hub for the elctrixity the alternator is actually generating the power. So another question that comes up is If u run a 2 batt setup would that be even more stress on the Alternator since it now has to charge 2 batts
Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Awayman18
I guess that's kinda what I was getting at was should I run duel batts, but like I learned earlier a batt is just the holding hub for the elctrixity the alternator is actually generating the power. So another question that comes up is If u run a 2 batt setup would that be even more stress on the Alternator since it now has to charge 2 batts
If you require a dual battery setup, the alternator should not really have any more stress on it. That is to say whenever the engine is running, the alternator is also rotating, providing power required for the vehicle to run and also recharging the battery if necessary. Once the battery is fully charged, the alternator would only be working to provide the power needed to run the vehicle and any electrical components that are being used. If there is a very high draw, the alternator might become a bit taxed and heat up some, but even with a dual battery system, it should not over tax a stock alternator, providing the entire electrical system is in good working order and the batteries are hooked up correctly.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual batteries make a huge difference in running electrical accessories. Most electrical loads are intermittent (winch, compressor, stereo, even lighting in a lot of cases). The extra battery capacity allows for more buffer and safety margin between the accessories and alternator.

Also, the additional battery capacity lowers voltage drop on accessories and let's them operate at their optimal voltage. This minimizes heat & stress on the accessory and in turn it functions better and lasts longer. Especially true on winches.

The Benchmark Stage 3 kit is designed with a Smart Isolator that prioritizes battery charging so you're not straining the alternator by forcing it to charge 2 batteries at once.

You want to look at a high output alternator if you're going to be running constant loads (tons of big lights) for extended periods of time (hours) with engine running at idle or low RPMs.

We offer 3 levels of dual battery systems for various needs: www.benchmarkdesigns.com

Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
Dual batteries make a huge difference in running electrical accessories. Most electrical loads are intermittent (winch, compressor, stereo, even lighting in a lot of cases). The extra battery capacity allows for more buffer and safety margin between the accessories and alternator.

Also, the additional battery capacity lowers voltage drop on accessories and let's them operate at their optimal voltage. This minimizes heat & stress on the accessory and in turn it functions better and lasts longer. Especially true on winches.

The Benchmark Stage 3 kit is designed with a Smart Isolator that prioritizes battery charging so you're not straining the alternator by forcing it to charge 2 batteries at once.

You want to look at a high output alternator if you're going to be running constant loads (tons of big lights) for extended periods of time (hours) with engine running at idle or low RPMs.

We offer 3 levels of dual battery systems for various needs: www.benchmarkdesigns.com

Is there any modification to make both Batts fit in the engine bay?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing permanent and all easily accomplished in an afternoon with handtools.

We supply the complete kit. All you need to source are the batteries.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
Nothing permanent and all easily accomplished in an afternoon with handtools.

We supply the complete kit. All you need to source are the batteries.

Cool deal deff. going to add it to the project list

Quick Reply: Questions about electrical