Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Radiartor fan speed question

Old 08-22-2016, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiartor fan speed question

Copying this question here since I'm not sure what section to write it under....

Hey guys, i have had my hands busy with this project for the last week; I am installing an A/C unit to my wrangler. it is originally from Canada and it didn't come with it.

i didn't notice until i drove it off the lot so after i tried and failed to have it returned, after i bitched, and after suing them for false advertisement, (vehicle feature disclosure said it came with AC), they paid me some cash so i could get it installed.

I am a cheap bastard, and very curious. also i hate people touching my cars, so i decided to do it myself.

i am basically done, but there's one more thing i have to do. i installed an aux electric fan to work whenever the compressor is on. but since this is a pusher fan, it isn't very efficient and i'm not getting the condensing pressures i want.

now to the question... when you start your AC in your Jeep. does the radiator fan come on LOW? HIGH? does it stay on the whole time? i have to tap into the fan circuit but i'm not sure if i should do the low speed circuit or the high speed or a mix of both. thanks for the help!
Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BNickJK
Copying this question here since I'm not sure what section to write it under....

Hey guys, i have had my hands busy with this project for the last week; I am installing an A/C unit to my wrangler. it is originally from Canada and it didn't come with it.

i didn't notice until i drove it off the lot so after i tried and failed to have it returned, after i bitched, and after suing them for false advertisement, (vehicle feature disclosure said it came with AC), they paid me some cash so i could get it installed.

I am a cheap bastard, and very curious. also i hate people touching my cars, so i decided to do it myself.

i am basically done, but there's one more thing i have to do. i installed an aux electric fan to work whenever the compressor is on. but since this is a pusher fan, it isn't very efficient and i'm not getting the condensing pressures i want.

now to the question... when you start your AC in your Jeep. does the radiator fan come on LOW? HIGH? does it stay on the whole time? i have to tap into the fan circuit but i'm not sure if i should do the low speed circuit or the high speed or a mix of both. thanks for the help!
I think the fan comes on whenever the vehicle is started, AC or not, but only on low. I think the speed of the fan is tied to the coolant temp. That being said, you could get the dealer to program your TIPM to know that you have AC and the fan would come on when it is supposed to. I think the reprogram is less than an hour of labor.

Question for you, did the wiring harness already have all the connections in it for the controls and compressor?

Last edited by maxspongebob; 08-22-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
I think the fan comes on whenever the vehicle is started, AC or not, but only on low. I think the speed of the fan is tied to the coolant temp.
With A/C off, the fan will not come on when the engine is started until coolant temp reaches 215°F. It will remain on until the engine is cooled to about 195°F. Normally, on the road with A/C off, there is sufficient air flowing through the radiator to keep the engine cool enough to keep the fan off.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maxspongebob
I think the fan comes on whenever the vehicle is started, AC or not, but only on low. I think the speed of the fan is tied to the coolant temp. That being said, you could get the dealer to program your TIPM to know that you have AC and the fan would come on when it is supposed to. I think the reprogram is less than an hour of labor. Question for you, did the wiring harness already have all the connections in it for the controls and compressor?
Yes I have the connectors for the compressor and for the pressure transducer. The problem is , I already talked to a dealer and was told that there is no way to add "factory" ac to one because the computer doesn't allow the compressor to start. I talked to several companies (jeepair, vintageair, and others) about this and all told me the same. So basically what I built is fully external to the whole factory system. My own thermostat, pressure switch, and even fan... But sadly the aux fan isn't enough
Old 08-22-2016, 08:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BNickJK
But sadly the aux fan isn't enough
You can always do this: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/oem-mechanical-fan-retrofit-235132/

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-22-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I would but I don't want to throw an extra 200$ bucks at this. I already bought the reinsert switch. All I need to know is the speed at which your stock fan starts when the ac is engaged.. I don't want to put it in the low speed and then realize it's not enough.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

I meant trinary switch

Quick Reply: Radiartor fan speed question