Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Radio specs

Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio specs

Is there a write up about the JK radio? I just got it last week and thought I could just plug my ipod into the AUX but that didn't work...maybe it was becuase of my ghetto splicing job of my connecting wire.
I've heard something about RES and myGIG, but I don't know anything about it. Is there something I can read besides the manual?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just plug it in. Headphone jacks on both ends.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I'll go buy real ones this time and try again
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

go to the local electronics store, such as Radio Shack or preferably a sponsor of this forum, and order one of these

however, if that does not work, then either your ipod is broken (doubtful if you hear it ok with headphones) or your radio is broken

if thats the case, go to your local jeep dealership, and get a new radio!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys.

Doubt my wife will want me too take the dash off since we got it last week. I'll try to come up with some kind of "dock" though.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did just notice that the AUX part of the audio/charging cable doesn't have the male insert in the photo. hmm.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MaloCS
No, you don't want to connect your iPod to the AUX input via the headphone jack. If you do it this way you won't be getting a true line level output and your sound quality will suffer.

For best results you want something like this: 4ft iPod Dock Connector to 3.5mm Cable

OR

If you want the ability to charge your iPod use this: Sik Imp audio/charging cable

Both of these cables tap into the iPod's true line level output which offers the best sound quality available. Whatever choice you make don't use your headphone jack.
I've never seen one of those first ones... that would be nice to have too.

Well, you are correct. It won't give you a true line level, but it will at least be a good test to ensure that its not broken (as long as you don't have volume all the way up.

Personally, I have the Harmon Kardon iPod Controller. The original version is CHEAP now, especially on buy (dot) com.

The kit comes with both cig plug adapter, and hard wire adapters, and allow for both bolt on mounts as well as sticky mounts. Good way to see if its something you like. iPod goes in glove box, or somewhere out of the way, and screen goes up by dash (easy to see, eyes barely have to move) and controller goes where convenient (like by the e-brake) for comfortable controls. Uses same style controls as iPod. 4 buttons, and ring around it mimic the scroll wheel on the iPods.

Can't say enough good things for these things. I think I'll be picking up one or two additional older ones since they are so cheap. Would like to try the next gen ones though... looks cool!

Last edited by eaglemikeo; 11-18-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eaglemikeo
go to the local electronics store, such as Radio Shack or preferably a sponsor of this forum, and order one of these

however, if that does not work, then either your ipod is broken (doubtful if you hear it ok with headphones) or your radio is broken

if thats the case, go to your local jeep dealership, and get a new radio!
I also have the RES version of the stereo and use a cable like the one in this picture. For best results, set the max volume of your iPod to about 80% in the settings. Turn the volume to max on the iPod and then control the volume by using the stereo.

Personally, I think it sounds great using this cable. I installed this mounting bracket
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17017_005.htm
and also installed this iPod holder
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17017_00X_A_PG.htm

This holder is adjustable so you can use it for iPods and cell phones. With the iPod in there, it is secured and won't go anywhere.

Quick Reply: Radio specs