Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Relay Kit solution for lights/CB/OBA/Winch ???

Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay Kit solution for lights/CB/OBA/Winch ???

Ok so I'm looking to get this whole wiring deal done right the first time.

I'm looking at adding 2 pairs of lights, a CB, a winch in time, and an OBA system very soon.

My question is what is the complete wiring solution for all of this?

I figure I'll want to mount all the switches in one clean setup to the left of the steering wheel when its all said and done.

So this is what I'm assuming:

for each pair of lights:

painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=30803

Winch/OBA and a pair of lights (if I'm supplying my own switches anyway and dont see the need to do the whole aux lights only come on when higheams are on) I could just use a 3 relay setup like this:

painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=30107
they also make a 6 relay setup just fyi but its 300 bucks so I'd like to not spend that much.

for the CB and one other small assecory such as a hardmounted iPod:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_98.htm

I'm totally clueless how this all goes together, I want to be able to turn on everything individually and turn off with the ignition. I'm looking for a very clean, factory setup on a budget that wont have any problems...expedition ready!

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 06-18-2009 at 05:16 AM. Reason: removed hyperlinks
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by PCulligan
Winch ... I could just use a 3 relay setup like this:
painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=30107
Hmm. The winch draws a lot of juice. So much that even side terminals on batteries may not be able to handle it. Are you sure you want to connect it through a relay? That would need to be one big relay! Anyway, the winch will come with its own controller that attaches to the winch itself. There are a few individuals who have built those controls into their dashes, but that would seem to be a lot of work for very little gain. I suggest that you consider the Warn PowerPlant, use the corded remote that comes with it, and be done with the winch and OBA.

Bottom line: I know there are some who really like lots of switches--I saw an awesome JK at JK-Jam where someone had spent big bucks nicely integrating dozens of switches that did who knows what (never met the owner). But, there are easier solutions to what you're asking for--if you don't mind a clean, easy install without lots of switches. Basically, I have nearly what you're asking for and all I needed to add was one switch and relay--and it came with the lights kit.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 06-18-2009 at 05:16 AM. Reason: removed quoted hyperlink
Old 06-17-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

I'm looking for a very clean, factory setup on a budget that wont have any problems...expedition ready!
There's the **** for a majority of what you are wanting to run but it's not cheap. Neither is anything else that is wholly "plug & play" WITH a factory look AND on a budget. Unfortunanlty those three things seldom go together.

And the previous poster is correct regarding the amp draw on a winch. You would not want to relay it, just connect to the battery terminals and run the provided control.

Edit: ok, didn't know there was a problem referring to that particular product

Hmm.... anyway, there are companies out there that sell prewired relay boxes bundled with cooresponding switch banks. You'll have to do a little digging around online or better yet, make a trip to a local 4X4 shop and ask around. Supporting local retailers is always a good thing!

Last edited by scottrock; 06-17-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

No worries I know exactly what product you are talking about and I agree its holy shit expensive, definitely not going that route.

Sounds like the winch is its own stand alone deal...I'm definitely OK with that. using a remote works just fine for me

As for the switches I guess I'll only really be using 2 since I only plan on having two axu lights. Heck, I may even go with just one pair given the total cost ain't too cheap for the next pair...and really when do I need to shred that much light? It'll depend more on the style of bumper I go with...

Anyway I was just looking at the wiring kit that came with my IPFs and it asks you to splice into the headlights which I really dont want to do. Anyway I wired up everything except that part(is there a way to bypass it?) and the switch much less the lights dont light up. It may be a grounding issue but I need to quit for today. The lights look really good mounted up thought...

thanks for the insights guys, any more? I'm a bit confused at the moment.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries I know exactly what product you are talking about and I agree its holy shit expensive, definitely not going that route.

Sounds like the winch is its own stand alone deal...I'm definitely OK with that. using a remote works just fine for me

As for the switches I guess I'll only really be using 2 since I only plan on having two axu lights. Heck, I may even go with just one pair given the total cost ain't too cheap for the next pair...and really when do I need to shred that much light? It'll depend more on the style of bumper I go with...

Anyway I was just looking at the wiring kit that came with my IPFs and it asks you to splice into the headlights which I really dont want to do. Anyway I wired up everything except that part(is there a way to bypass it?) and the switch much less the lights dont light up. It may be a grounding issue but I need to quit for today. The lights look really good mounted up thought...

thanks for the insights guys, any more? I'm a bit confused at the moment.
Google 12 Volt Guy, he might be able to hook you up with what you need.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

That 12 volt guy makes some military grade stuff it looks like. I wasnt really going for that look but what the hell I like stuff that works well and is reliable...seems I might just give that guy a call and have him set it up however he thinks it'll work best. Pretty cool how its all custom. Prices seem reasonable too
Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I could help. That's the way I'm gonna go eventually... need lights, winch, lockers, etc. to justify all those cool switches!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I have made my own solution... Under $200 and very easy to make. But like they said, go stand alone for the winch purely due to the amperage it will draw. My system can be adapted, but you'd have to buy the right solenoid and from my previous research, it is close to $75...
here's a link: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/ef-s-pod-51938/
Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get the Benchmark Designs dual battery setup. You're gonna need i t anyway.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

wow 220 for a dual battery tray...what the heck? Its not like I will be using all of this all at once with the battery off. Arn't most people getting along just fine with one battery? Didnt the JK come with a better alternator?

I really like Zoomzooms setup, simple, durable and effective. 12voltguy is putting together a mock up for what I'm thinking I'll need long term

Quick Reply: Relay Kit solution for lights/CB/OBA/Winch ???