Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Removed ground wire without disconnecting battery!

Old 05-02-2020, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed ground wire without disconnecting battery!

Soooo I might have made a mistake?? My jeep stereo volume one day just stopped working, so me being a typical "I can do it my damn self" kind of girl, I thought maybe I could fix it. I took out my stereo, checked all the connections etc and everything looked fine. Someone mentioned to me that it could possibly be a ground wire.....so I started checking ground wires.....and my idiot "can do it my damn self" attitude might have ruined my jeep. I disconnected a few ground wires to clean them and did NOT disconnect my battery first. When I was done, even though my stereo still did not work, everything else (including my engine) worked just fine. Now a couple days later, I was out driving and all of a sudden my engine died out of nowhere. I tried to crank it over and it wouldn't start. Made all the sounds like it was going to, but would not roll over. I first thought is it was my fuel pump, bc it was acting like it was not getting enough gas. I ended up renting a code reader from AutoZone and got the code P0688 (ASD/Main Sense Circuit). I started googling to find out what the issue is and OMG! I checked all my fuses and they all light up, disconnected the battery and then connected it back up, but still doesn't work. Not sure where to go from here? Did I possibly cause this by disconnecting ground wires without disconnecting the battery first??

Quick Reply: Removed ground wire without disconnecting battery!