Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

radio static

Old 02-13-2018, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio static

I wired up off road lights to my 2010 jk unlimited when I turn lights on radio gets static need help
Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I've experienced that in the past with the use of a cheap 50" light bar. That was the only time though. I have Rigid pods on my a-pillar that obviously run closer my stubby antenna on the passenger side, but the 50" was the only thing that ever caused interference issues (maybe cuz it was higher). Is the light causing the issue on your windshield, or somewhere else?
Old 02-15-2018, 01:24 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Ferrite core...

Something inexpensive you can try is a ferrite core over the related wires. I think Amazon even has this stuff now. I'm not familiar with the new lighting out there, but there's probably a power supply or similar device that's making RF noise and the wiring becomes an antenna. The closer the ferrite core is to the noise source the more effective, and it doesn't hurt to add more than one. In addition to radio static noise, the TPMS lamp indicating failure may happen too. If you try this, please post back the results.

Last edited by Mr.T; 02-15-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: radio static