Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

SAT Module failure at 800 mi

Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAT Module failure at 800 mi

I'm getting a new radio installed as a fix, but curious to know how common this is and if I'm going to have to continue to worry about it after the warranty is up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00058.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	14768  
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Never seen that one
Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renegadelt1
Never seen that one
Yes you have.

that's what was wrong with the unit I tried selling you.
Just not "quite as bad" as that one's failure.

the sat module is "easily" replaced, but they are a fairly sturdy piece. Since it's a complete module, they tend to fail when plugged in, (aka unit would fail qa at assembly) or be good for the life of the unit. So in other words, I'm still more nervous about the HD than the sat module failing after a few years.
But HDs are cheap, and I have an image of mine already.

edit: by "easily" I mean taking the entire unit apart carefully, pulling all the pieces out, etc etc and making sure to not break any of the ribbon cables.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Sure sounds realllll easy!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hscrugby
Yes you have.

the sat module is "easily" replaced, but they are a fairly sturdy piece. Since it's a complete module, they tend to fail when plugged in, (aka unit would fail qa at assembly) or be good for the life of the unit. So in other words, I'm still more nervous about the HD than the sat module failing after a few years.

edit: by "easily" I mean taking the entire unit apart carefully, pulling all the pieces out, etc etc and making sure to not break any of the ribbon cables.
Interesting that they told me they were replacing the whole radio unit if all they needed to do was replace the module, which makes sense to me. Of course, it could just be the Service Advisor's misunderstanding. I'll clarify that on installation day.

How did you image your HD?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twaldron
Interesting that they told me they were replacing the whole radio unit if all they needed to do was replace the module, which makes sense to me. Of course, it could just be the Service Advisor's misunderstanding. I'll clarify that on installation day.

How did you image your HD?
Oh, sorry. They will replace the whole radio, and sent that unit off to get "refurb'd" where the manufacturer will replace the sat module.

As for how I imaged, my HD. I'm a dork. I pulled the HD out, hooked it to a *nix based compie. Used my favorite *nix based imaging program, and have a file with it. I was planning on trying to put a 80GB drive in there.
But then I realized no point, as I don't have that much music that I like. And this way I can tell the wife "there just isn't enough space for all of your songs. I'm sorry honey"

Last edited by hscrugby; 10-28-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

That's great! I didn't get any time in the 800 miles to really play with this thing, and once I knew the unit was toast, I didn't bother to even put a CD in there. I'm not sure I have that much music I like either, especially with the ability to use MP3 CDs and IPODs. Too bad you can't store movies and videos on there, but that would really eat up the space a bit too fast. I think a hot swappable HD system would be Killer!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hscrugby
Yes you have.

No kidding that was the trouble all along, It never displayed anything to show it had failed, At least it was an easy fix .
Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Just to update, the reman. replacement radio showed the same Module Failure error. I had them put my orig. new unit back in. They then replaced the antenna, no workie. Then, they ordered a new cable between the antenna and the unit. No workie. Then, they tried a new antenna with the new cable and the orig. radio and it worked.

I have no idea what was really bad....but it works!

Quick Reply: SAT Module failure at 800 mi