Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Securing amp under dash

Old 05-03-2015, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing amp under dash

All - ready to start the next phase of stereo upgrading, and want to add a 4 channel amp to give more oomph to the Alpine/Hertz system. Options are the JL Audio and RF amps which shoukd fit under the dash. The largest is about the same size as a big paperback.

Thanks to the forums here I pretty much know what to do with cables, firewalls etc., but not sure how to finally secure the amp in the position just below the steering column. Cable ties woukd probably work but wondering if anyone had rigged up anything more substantial, without impeding air flow? If you have good pics can you post them, or if you fabricated anything to fit and have a sketch, would be enormously appreciated.

Thank you for reading
Anthony
Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're replacing the factory Alpine amp or adding an amp?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Adding an amp. Replaced stock hu with an Alpine unit. Original purchase was the most basic factory version.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:47 AM
JK Junkie

I installed this under my glove box.

Amazon.com : Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics

It was a little too fat to install under the steering column. I held it in place with zip ties and then ran a couple of metal straps around it and the metal structure. Was able to do it with the glove box removed and the dash still in place.

Last edited by 14Sport; 05-04-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks 14sport - I looked at this and the same type from Alpine, but to be honest wanted to go with a bit more juice. I know there are others who have done this but I will search again to see the pics - I did not see how they had been secured, but maybe I missed something.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Junkie

Well my install is ugly as all git out but functional. If you end up with something small enough let me know and I'll take a pic. Next time I have the dash apart I plan to fab a better bracket for it.

Quick Reply: Securing amp under dash