Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sirius antenna booster?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius antenna booster?

Anyone out there tried adding an antenna booster? My old XM radio that I had installed in my Toyota Tacoma had a "Thru the Glass" antenna, and it was powered through the battery to boost the signal. I never had any reception issues. This system on the stock radio is constantly loosing reception and I am still driving the same old roads. Any thoughts??
Old 04-06-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf
the reception issue is Sirius not the antenna, I have had XM for years got Sirius for the wife before the buy and the reception was crap back then. I do recall a thread some where that someone found a booster but not sure where. You can try a search in this section to see if it pops up. I lose my signal in the same places every day when i leave work. After the buy out Sirius ruined satellite radio.
I definately have to disagree with you on this one. I have Sirius in more than one vehicle, and the Jeep's reception is by far the worst. It definately has to do with the placement of the antenna, but unfortunately I don't have the fix. I am sure someone on here will point you in the right direction.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

The reason for the dropped signal with SIRIUS is your antenna needs to have line of sight access to one of the three satellites in the constellation, if there is something in the way it will take a lot of amplification to overcome the blockage. XM is not purely space based and uses ground repeaters to supplement the coverage of their two satellites.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where is the antenna for the satellite radio. Or is it the same antenna sticking out the passenger side for regular radio?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PeterWendy
Where is the antenna for the satellite radio. Or is it the same antenna sticking out the passenger side for regular radio?
The Sirius antenna is mounted on the roll bar on the passenger side. near the speaker.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Move your antenna to the hood cowl for line of sight - might fix your issue.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Move your antenna to the hood cowl for line of sight - might fix your issue.
Mounting the antenna on the cowl would block out huge chunks of the sky.
Mine cuts out on a certain section of a main road with no apparent obstacles in the way. No buildings, trees, wires; nothing.
There is just a signal shadow there for some reason.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed a significant drop in signal quality between this past winter and late spring - - signal drops all over the place where it didn't before. At first I thought it might be atmosphere related, ie. higher heat, summer ozone, etc......then duh, it hit me - Its the damn leaves on the trees!!!!

I get that signal issues will exist under bridges, in building shadows, etc, but how lame is a radio system that can't conquer a freaking tree.....
Old 06-25-2009, 02:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

This thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...sirius+antenna has some info. about cowl mounting the antenna. See MaloCS post with the pics. I haven't done it yet, but it's definitely on my list.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
I noticed a significant drop in signal quality between this past winter and late spring - - signal drops all over the place where it didn't before. At first I thought it might be atmosphere related, ie. higher heat, summer ozone, etc......then duh, it hit me - Its the damn leaves on the trees!!!!

I get that signal issues will exist under bridges, in building shadows, etc, but how lame is a radio system that can't conquer a freaking tree.....
My subscription ran out for Sirius traffic. After I paid them more money, they turned it back on, but now I have dropped signals all over the place, even out in the wide open where I'm the tallest thing out there.

Quick Reply: Sirius antenna booster?