Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Which Smartphone is the best for Uconnect?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Smartphone is the best for Uconnect?

Our 2 year prison sentence with AT&T is almost over and we are getting ready to switch back to Verizon. We switched to AT&T for the iPhone, but it doesn't seem like any features of Uconnect work with an iPhone. Any suggestions on which Smartphone will give me the greatest compatibility with my stock Uconnect stereo? I have the RES model radio. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Unless you spend all of your time in your Jeep, i wouldn't worry so much about which one is best for the uconnect. I'd get the best smartphone
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S4 a week or so ago and it works just fine with my Uconnect 430N.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this is an interesting question. I have an iPhone and a Motorola Razor M. Neither of them will let me send a text message via voice command in my '14 JK. I am wondering now if there are any phones that will read you your text messages or will let me send one via voice.

Since my JK is my DD, this would be a nice feature to have.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRC27
Unless you spend all of your time in your Jeep, i wouldn't worry so much about which one is best for the uconnect. I'd get the best smartphone
True, I guess the one function that I'd like to work is the SMS Text Messaging, that does not work with my iPhone! Maybe I should be asking if anyone has ever used the SMS Text Messaging, does it actually work, and what phone did it work with. For anyone who has used it, how does it work, and is it even worth worrying about?

I'm assuming if you receive a text while driving, it reads the text to you through the speakers and then you can respond with a voice command. Is this how it works? Thanks...
Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptarnuzzer
True, I guess the one function that I'd like to work is the SMS Text Messaging, that does not work with my iPhone! Maybe I should be asking if anyone has ever used the SMS Text Messaging, does it actually work, and what phone did it work with. For anyone who has used it, how does it work, and is it even worth worrying about?

I'm assuming if you receive a text while driving, it reads the text to you through the speakers and then you can respond with a voice command. Is this how it works? Thanks...

Pretty much, but you have to push the uconnect button first, then the voice commands take over. I haven't used it to send but have to receive.

Sending a speech to text message with my phone can be downright comical. Sometimes you aren't sending what you think your are, you have to speak very slowly and enunciate clearly or the system will guess what you're saying, I'd imagine going through the uconnect wouldn't be much different.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soberbyker
Pretty much, but you have to push the uconnect button first, then the voice commands take over. I haven't used it to send but have to receive.

Sending a speech to text message with my phone can be downright comical. Sometimes you aren't sending what you think your are, you have to speak very slowly and enunciate clearly or the system will guess what you're saying, I'd imagine going through the uconnect wouldn't be much different.
LOL! I bet you can really baffle the person on the receiving end, especially if the top is down! What phone do you have?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptarnuzzer
LOL! I bet you can really baffle the person on the receiving end, especially if the top is down! What phone do you have?
Post # 3 ....

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S4 a week or so ago and it works just fine with my Uconnect 430N.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Post # 3 ....

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I think this is an interesting question. I have an iPhone and a Motorola Razor M. Neither of them will let me send a text message via voice command in my '14 JK. I am wondering now if there are any phones that will read you your text messages or will let me send one via voice.

Since my JK is my DD, this would be a nice feature to have.

You can download SMS+Car for your Razor M and it will read out your text messages while you are driving. I'm not sure what version of Android is on the Razor M, but see if it has Voice Search. If it does you can open voice search and say "send text to <name> <message>" and it will send a text to that person.

Quick Reply: Which Smartphone is the best for Uconnect?