Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sound system help!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound system help!!!

I'm sure this has been covered already, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, so hopefully some of you audio guys will have some advice. I had the stock single disc head unit/non-infinity system in my jk.. I recently purchased the infinity speakers, sub, and amp and hoped to install them... When I pulled everything apart, I realized I don't have any of the wiring for the amplifier.. I installed the infinity 6.5's anyways, but now I've got an annoying crackling/popping sound.. What I wanted to know was: can I buy an aftermarket amp and hook everything up, using the stock head unit? If so, what do I need? 4 channel?? I'm guessing around 300-400 watts? Will I be able to run all the speakers (tweeters, 4-6.5's, and the sub)? Thanks alot in advance..
Old 04-07-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKCANADA
1. What I wanted to know was: can I buy an aftermarket amp and hook everything up, using the stock head unit? If so, what do I need? 4 channel?? I'm guessing around 300-400 watts? 2. Will I be able to run all the speakers (tweeters, 4-6.5's, and the sub)?
I split your post into two questions.
1. You will need a LOC (Line Output Converter) it takes speaker level inputs and converts them to RCA Preouts for any aftermarket amp.
2. Yes you will be able to run all speakers and the sub depending on the amp(s) you get. For the original speaker configuration you will need a four channel amp. By adding a sub you will need 5 channel.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will need a crossover for the front speakers.

The original setup has something to filter the signal from the front speakers and the front tweeters.

If you do an aftermarket amp, you will need to filter that and separate the signal.

The infinity amp has it built in..but an aftermarket amp just means that you will need more parts.

I suggest MB quart cross overs. check on ebay.

it will have a line input that will come from the amp. and then it will have an output for the mid speaker...and then another for the tweeter.

Originally Posted by JKCANADA
I'm sure this has been covered already, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, so hopefully some of you audio guys will have some advice. I had the stock single disc head unit/non-infinity system in my jk.. I recently purchased the infinity speakers, sub, and amp and hoped to install them... When I pulled everything apart, I realized I don't have any of the wiring for the amplifier.. I installed the infinity 6.5's anyways, but now I've got an annoying crackling/popping sound.. What I wanted to know was: can I buy an aftermarket amp and hook everything up, using the stock head unit? If so, what do I need? 4 channel?? I'm guessing around 300-400 watts? Will I be able to run all the speakers (tweeters, 4-6.5's, and the sub)? Thanks alot in advance..
Old 04-07-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys... I'll get that stuff and see what kind of a mess I can get into!

Quick Reply: Sound system help!!!