Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Start issue

Old 05-21-2019, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start issue

My 2008 rubican sometimes will not start in park. If I put it in neutral it will start 99% of the time. Today I went to start it and int didnt start then I put it in neutral and it just clicked. I walked away for 5 minutes came back to try to start it and it fired riggt up... Any ideas what this could be?
Old 05-21-2019, 03:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

That sounds a lot like the "click- no start" problem quite a few people have had, especially with the early automatic JKs.

Try running a heavy ground wire from the alternator mount bolt to the battery negative terminal. That has solved the problem for a lot of people.
The following users liked this post:
OnBelay (05-28-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try this thank you!

Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That sounds a lot like the "click- no start" problem quite a few people have had, especially with the early automatic JKs.

Try running a heavy ground wire from the alternator mount bolt to the battery negative terminal. That has solved the problem for a lot of people.
This plus try shifting it into N and see if it starts then. Mine has done this for 11 years now but never left me stranded.
The following users liked this post:
OnBelay (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Click, no start. Run a jumper cable from the alternator bracket to the battery negative terminal (verify that you have continuity of course) and then try again. That diagnosed my issue, and then I solved it by running a permanent cable (plus an additional 30ish grounds throughout the Jeep for improved DC and RF ground lol...).

Quick Reply: Start issue