Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Steering wheel volume control on an '09 JKU... doable???

Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel volume control on an '09 JKU... doable???

I've done several different searches while trying to find the answer to this, to no avail. What year was the first year for the JK to have volume control on the steering wheel? I'm wondering if I can retrofit my '09 JKU with a newer steering wheel in order to get the volume control... doable or not so much?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been wondering about this too. I'll love to switch out my steering wheel for one with controls on it.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmm... anybody have any info on this? Any help us greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepCopz
Hmmm... anybody have any info on this? Any help us greatly appreciated.
I seen a thread where someone successfully integrated a newer model wheel in an older model JK. So the wheel parts is plausible. But I think that integrating the new controls into the OE system is impossible. But you "may" be able to interface to an aftermarket HU.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The controls won't work. you would have to keep your cruise control controls, Im not sure about the uconnect button. but I think its not swappable.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Okay, thanks guys! I really didn't want to get a new HU just for the volume control, but this may be my only option. Wish I didn't have a vehicle with that option, so I wouldn't have gotten use to it.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepCopz
Okay, thanks guys! I really didn't want to get a new HU just for the volume control, but this may be my only option. Wish I didn't have a vehicle with that option, so I wouldn't have gotten use to it.
If your vehicle didn't have an option in your model year, it cannot have the steering wheel controls. They'd need to be turned on via the Starscan tool at the dealership and without the option code it can't be done.

I wish it was easy as plug and play. Those days are behind us and it is about to get worse with the new generation radios.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you put a newer steering wheel with controls on and have it actually work with an aftermarket HU? Is there anywhere to actually run the wires? Is the mounting the same between the steering wheels?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4Play
Can you put a newer steering wheel with controls on and have it actually work with an aftermarket HU? Is there anywhere to actually run the wires? Is the mounting the same between the steering wheels?
I've seen a post on this forum a while back where someone changed their wheel. I think he actually used a Liberty wheel. Looked pretty good. Everything worked except the audio controls. I've seen aftermarket interface devices that should work for the audio controls as long as you have the aftermarket HU. Look on the PAC website or Metra website for the interface module.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
I've seen a post on this forum a while back where someone changed their wheel. I think he actually used a Liberty wheel. Looked pretty good. Everything worked except the audio controls. I've seen aftermarket interface devices that should work for the audio controls as long as you have the aftermarket HU. Look on the PAC website or Metra website for the interface module.
I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel volume control on an '09 JKU... doable???