Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stereo headunit quiestions

Old 06-02-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lunkhead22
Thank you, but my question is if a headunit has a built in amp and I connecting directly to after market speakers would it be clear and louder? Oh well I will answer myself lol. I going to try every possible way. I was happy with the stock infinity but wanted a navi.
In addition to the above responses, which are the tip of the iceberg of the technical aspects of the physics of sound, the amp will make major differences in the quality and quantity of sound, whether internal to a hu or a seperate amp. With regards to power, "clean" sound will be much louder than just more power. In other words, using half the power on a higher wattage (clean, well-built) amp will sound much better, and most likely "louder", than cranking up the gain on a smaller amp. Even though the "output" is likely to be similar if tested.

As stated above, a Jeep is not the ideal vehicle for a pure listening environment so I wouldn't get really worried about most of this stuff. Find quality components from a retailer you trust and have fun with your stereo. What's the worst that can happen... you end up replacing something!!! And that's fun to do.

Quick Reply: Stereo headunit quiestions