Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock antenna interference

Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock antenna interference

Yesterday I finally fixed my stereo antenna by relocating it back a few inches from where it was stock, I have a river raider snorkel which covers up the factory location. Today as I was driving around I noticed the signal was pretty weak, so when I got home I moved the antenna around and the only time it got worse was when it was very close to, and touching the snorkel.

The only thing I have come up with is the possibility that because the snorkel is not grounded to my jeep and that may be why I’m getting the weak reception with the antenna and snorkel being so close to each other.

The hole that the snorkel goes into has been sealed with silicone to keep the panels from rusting out; this is also keeping the snorkel from making contact with the quarter panel and the inner panels as well.

So my question is... Would running a length of wire from the snorkel to somewhere help my problem?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that groundind your snorkel would help. The radio antenna is fixed to pick up a certain wavelenght so it is optimally tuned to a certain lenght based on the wavelength (not sure what the wavelength for FM is). If your antenna is touching the snorkel then I would think it is causing the snorkel to become part of the antenna, causing it to no longer be at this optimal length. I would try to put something in between the snorkel and the antenna to make sure they can not come in metal to metal contact and see if that helps.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped the whole thing with electrical tape and it helped but I'm still getting static.

Quick Reply: Stock antenna interference