Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stock Infinity Subwoofer Enclosure

Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Infinity Subwoofer Enclosure

I've installed a Kicker CVR8 subwoofer in the stock Infinity enclosure, and I was wondering if there is anything besides installing a new amp that would help boost the bass volume?

I could be totally crazy, but I thought I saw a post on the forum once of a stock infinity sub enclosure that had holes drilled in it to help vent it, theoretically helping the sub bump more. If I made that up, I apologize, but is there any way of putting a vent in the stock enclosure? Would it help?
Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nigel
I've installed a Kicker CVR8 subwoofer in the stock Infinity enclosure, and I was wondering if there is anything besides installing a new amp that would help boost the bass volume?

I could be totally crazy, but I thought I saw a post on the forum once of a stock infinity sub enclosure that had holes drilled in it to help vent it, theoretically helping the sub bump more. If I made that up, I apologize, but is there any way of putting a vent in the stock enclosure? Would it help?
i have done the exact same thing --- but did not do any port drilling for venting --- the sub absolutely pounds ! i to used the kicker, and have an alpine pdx driving it along with polk audio components throughout ... the gain is half down on the sub, and it thumps at the deepest levels ... i have the Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT running the show, and has plenty of tweaking options for sounds levels, eq and sub levels ...

you will not get the most of the sub if you are running the stock hu or even the mygig ... the so called Infiniti Upgraded audio is crap ... gut it !
Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Im pretty much going to do the exact same thing. Are you running yout mids and highs on the AVIC, through the Peripheral adapter and stock Infinity amps, or are you running straight from the deck to the speakers, or are you running an aftermarket amp, and how does it sound?
Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HardcoreHeath
Im pretty much going to do the exact same thing. Are you running yout mids and highs on the AVIC, through the Peripheral adapter and stock Infinity amps, or are you running straight from the deck to the speakers, or are you running an aftermarket amp, and how does it sound?
the entire set up is run off the pdx-5 (5 channel) ... like i said, the Infiniti set-up is horrific if you appreciate sound quality ... gut the entire set up and start from scratch, if i would have known what the audio quality was prior to purchasing my jeep with the mygig i would have opted NOT to add it as an option ...

the alpine pdx is some gem, every gain is half way and the thing screams with zero distortion and crystal clarity ... i would recommend the pioneer deck as well, as far as functionality and cosmetics ... looks like it belongs in the dash of a jk ... options are endless ...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Please, pretty please do not drill any holes in your speaker box. Ported boxes are tuned for particular frequencies using specific designed boxes and port length. Most 8" subs work best with small sealed boxes anyway. Just pump some watts into it.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hardt4447
the entire set up is run off the pdx-5 (5 channel) ... like i said, the Infiniti set-up is horrific if you appreciate sound quality ... gut the entire set up and start from scratch, if i would have known what the audio quality was prior to purchasing my jeep with the mygig i would have opted NOT to add it as an option ...

the alpine pdx is some gem, every gain is half way and the thing screams with zero distortion and crystal clarity ... i would recommend the pioneer deck as well, as far as functionality and cosmetics ... looks like it belongs in the dash of a jk ... options are endless ...
Do you have any pics of the dash? I'd like to see how that bad boy looks...
Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't drill ! That will just mess everything up. Every sub requires a certain amount of airspace, port size,etc to be most efficient you can't just start drilling holes in boxes and expect to get more bass it will just throw everything off
Old 03-26-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

So I assume the CVR 8 kicker sub mounted in the stock infinity sub box without any depth problems? Specs. say mounting depth is 4 1/4", correct?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know what the crossover frequency is for the stock infinity subwoofer??? 100-250Hz ???

I tapped off the subwoofer, to a Line-out-converter - i am running a amp to another subwoofer ( i tried a kicker box,pioneer box, bazooka ) all 10" - they all sounded pretty good. But seem punchy, but overall great improvement..

as far as which is best, Bazooka(10") and the Pioneer (10"shallow sealed) both pounded a little better than the kicker 10" vented box..

When I come up with a final solution, I will post pics..

Quick Reply: Stock Infinity Subwoofer Enclosure