Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stuffing wires and components behind the glove box..

Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuffing wires and components behind the glove box..

Hey all-
Saw a few threads around here where people who have installed aftermarket head units and some additional components and have stuffed them into the left corner between the center console and blower behind the glove box area and have a question and perhaps a concern.

I installed my pioneer head unit + xm + bluetooth last weekend then this afternoon installed a fuse box panel for my radar and CB. When I had installed the stereo, I had not noticed that the rigid aluminum hoses next to the center stack got hot. Then this afternoon immediately upon returning from the marina surplus store where I purchased the fuse panel, I tore into the glove box to begin the install. While reaching into the area to remove the wires and the boxes, I noticed that the XM receiver (which was touching the hoses) was extremely hot to the touch. Found it kind of weird, and continued. As I was untangling the spaghetti, I inflicted a second/third degree burn to the back of the hand.

So my questions are:
-Is the hose supposed to get *that* hot?
-To those of you who hide stuff in that little area, are you having any issues with melting?
-Where is everyone else hiding things? I was considering mounting these things under the seats, but would be concerned with water damage.
-And lastly, is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

That's the hose for your heater core and is carrying your antifreeze. As you've learned, it gets hot. Don't put electronics/wiring adjacent to it. I've got my CB down there, but kept it several inches away, more centered behind the glove box.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Yes, it is supposed to get that hot.

- No issues with melting. I have speaker wires, two USB plugs and some other wires running through that area. I didn't burn myself but I felt that they were hot and figured out what they were. Everything is routed or zip-tied clear of them.

- Under seats, around glove box and under steering wheel are the closest locations. The rear cargo trunk is an option but that requires longer wiring. There is a LOT of space under the center console. The challenge there is avoiding the shifter, TC shifter and E-Brake.

- YES!!! YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED. At the very least you can damage your wiring if it melts through. Worst case scenario would be to short something out and start a fire.

Quick Reply: Stuffing wires and components behind the glove box..