Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Subwoofer install problems

Old 05-21-2010, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer install problems

I got a replacement 8" sub (elemental designs e3.8) first put in the stock box with a jl 250 amp. Sounded horrible, not good output, didn't seal well in the box, and speaker sounded like it was popping.

I decided to build a custom ported box, built to Elemental Designs specs tuned to 30hz. Still had popping sound when the bass would punch like first hit a kick drum or hit a bass note even on low volume. Sub is barely moving and you can hear the popping sound. Elemental Designs sent out a band new sub to replace the other one in case it was damaged in shipping and still have the same sound. Any ideas? Audio shop that did the install tapped into the factory wiring and utilized the factory plug that went into the infinity box if that matters???

thanks,

Dan
Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

I had a installer tell me that if i dont buy this 120 dollar kit that plugs into the the back of the factory system (for infinity) that i will get a poping sound.... i tapped into the sub inputs for the infinity basslink and i have ABSOLUTLY no issues.... you shouldnt have issues tapping in after the amp(from what another installer said) make sure ur pos/neg arnt backwords
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

get a meter out and test the voltage on your signal wire to the amp ... my buddy just experienced something like this and it was because his signal wire wasnt sending the full 12 volts constantly ... it would pop every like 7 or 8 seconds then nothing
Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pos/neg

sounds like you switched the pos/ neg. Does your sub have 4 places to hook the speaker wire or 2 ? you may have not run the wirering to all 4 connectors thinking 2 would be fine. It wont if theres more than 2. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer install problems