Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Suggestions on New Stereo Build

Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on New Stereo Build

Hey guys, sorry for the newbie question - but i'd like some advice as to what you think is the best way to approach a stereo build and where i can cut corners. I'm looking to get the whole thing doen on the cheap - just want it louder with more thump than i can get from the base factory system. Any specific product reccomendations?

Head unit - looking for a basic 4x50 watt with preamp output and integrated crossover. Ipod interface is a plus.

Keep factory speakers in dash and soundbar (I'm guessing they will sound a lot better with a higher wattage from the head unit and restricted to higher frequencies if i let a sub do the work on the low end)

For the sub - the easiest would be some sort of self-amplified speaker, so i could lift the whole thing out of the back when i need to. i know bazooka makes self amp'd tubes. are these any good? should i consider a budget amp and build a box for a single 10" or two 10"s?

Can I get this done and installed for $800 or so?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For $800 or so, you should be able to put in a VERY nice head unit, replace all four factory speakers and add a single 12" sub. I did mine with a double din HU w/ BT and Ipod control, replaced all four factory 6.5's and added a JL audio 12 with 300 watt amp.
Head unit:
Pioneer FH8000BT from Crutchfield with kit and harness $385
Infinity Reference 6.5's $100 a pair X2
12" JL audio sub w/ box on clearance $100
300 watt mono amp to run sub $110
Lots of my own labor and a case of beer... priceless
Grand total: $795 and a little bit of a hangover
I am in Conroe if you want to get an idea of what you can expect before you bite the bullet.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on New Stereo Build