Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Superwinch running backwards?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superwinch running backwards?

Installed my Superwinch EPI-9S yesterday and it is running backwards. "In" on the hand control makes the winch spool out, and "Out" makes it spool in. The polarity IS correct at the battery. I don't want to re-label the hand controls except as a last resort. It would seem that I could reverse the wiring where it is landed on the terminals at the winch but I don't really know if that would work or which wires to move . Any one have any suggestions? I will be contacting Superwinch tomorrow!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RubiRascal
Installed my Superwinch EPI-9S yesterday and it is running backwards. "In" on the hand control makes the winch spool out, and "Out" makes it spool in. The polarity IS correct at the battery. I don't want to re-label the hand controls except as a last resort. It would seem that I could reverse the wiring where it is landed on the terminals at the winch but I don't really know if that would work or which wires to move . Any one have any suggestions? I will be contacting Superwinch tomorrow!
Take your solenoid cover off,
Look on your solenoids where the wires come from the controller input. You should see one wire is "shared" between the two of them (Probably RED, but it might not be). Dont touch that one. Now look at the other two wires going to the solenoids, the wont be "shared" Reverse them. Probably got messed up at the factory.

MAKE SURE YOU UNHOOK YOUR BATTERY BEFORE DOING THE ABOVE!!!!

Last edited by dyolfknip; 08-17-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Take your solenoid cover off,
Look on your solenoids where the wires come from the controller input. You should see one wire is "shared" between the two of them (Probably RED, but it might not be). Dont touch that one. Now look at the other two wires going to the solenoids, the wont be "shared" Reverse them. Probably got messed up at the factory.

MAKE SURE YOU UNHOOK YOUR BATTERY BEFORE DOING THE ABOVE!!!!

The EPI has an intagrated solenoid, the wiring terminals are covered by the rubber boots, any idea which ones to swap?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Flip the wires on the battery
Old 08-17-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
Flip the wires on the battery
The battery wiring is correct, I dont want to start mis-matching polarity colors under the hood, might lead to confusion later on.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

It is possible that it got spooled out and back in the wrong direction?
Try letting out all the rope, then using "in" to respool.
(Unless the spool is clearly marked which direction is "in" and which is "out," in which case, I'm full of crap.)
Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
(Unless the spool is clearly marked which direction is "in" and which is "out," in which case, I'm full of crap.)

Good point. On my cheaper Superwinch though they are quite specific which direction the rope goes in.

As for the OP, your solenoids are "integrated" but you can still get your cover off if you are so inclined, but if not I would just give Superwinch a call. You dont want to fry your winch and there is some serious amperage going through it.

If you happen to take your cover off though could you post a picture of the solenoids on here please? I am interested for another project i am working on.

Thanks
TH
Old 08-18-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Not full of crap!

These come with the rope needing to be installed by the owner. There is no arrow on the drum so if during install you wrapped the rope in the wrong direction to the control it would be going in the opposite direction when in use. When I put mine on I did this for a couple seconds until I noticed it. Just take the rope off and re-feed it in the correct direction.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looking at your picture you have the feed coming off the top of the spool. Check my shots in my gallery. It should feed from the bottom. It is installed backwards. Easy fix!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DtownJK
Looking at your picture you have the feed coming off the top of the spool. Check my shots in my gallery. It should feed from the bottom. It is installed backwards. Easy fix!
I never thought of that, I'll have to remember when I buy my winch! - KY

Quick Reply: Superwinch running backwards?