Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Switch wiring for arb OBA question

Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the help! My bracket arrived today so I'll probably tackle it tomorrow. There are a million wires there and if I read the schematic properly the only wires I run from the compressor are the red and the 4 power wires using a spst switch. I like where you put your switch resharp, I may do that.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
Thanks all for the help! My bracket arrived today so I'll probably tackle it tomorrow. There are a million wires there and if I read the schematic properly the only wires I run from the compressor are the red and the 4 power wires using a spst switch. I like where you put your switch resharp, I may do that.
I only use mine for airing up, so didn't need the switch within reach for lockers or anything. Since ARB sent a really nice switch I didn't figure I'd waste one of my sPOD spaces for it. I'd just caution that there's not as much clearance on the backside of that door trim as you'd think. You can see that I tried to mount mine lower, but it wouldn't allow the switch to be pressed all the way in. I then had to cut the hole bigger allowing the switch to slide up the trim piece a bit more. Even right there I really had to bend the wire leads a bit on the back to get it pushed in all the way. I wish I had a better location, but when I did it I was trying to work with the wiring provided and not have to extend it any. I think that some day I'll buy new door trim, and extend the wiring for that switch and find a better location for it.

I even thought about cutting a hole in the front seat riser (closest to the door) and mounting the switch as forward facing there. The only downside with that is you clearly see the backside of the switch unless you fab'ed something up to hide it. Good luck with your install. If you have any questions I think I'm subscribed on almost all your threads.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Resharp or anyone- where did you tap into a switched positive? Sorry for all the questions. The included instructions are limited. By the way, my instructions were incomplete so I called customer service and they emailed me a pdf of it, if anyone needs it let me know.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Well, I had already tapped in to the 12v plug in my dash when I installed seat heaters previously. I actually just retapped into the seat heater line to grab power. Forgot about that part.

Since you have to pass through the firewall anyhow, you might just have an easier time running a wire and tapping to a fuse in the fuse box.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeOK
Resharp or anyone- where did you tap into a switched positive? Sorry for all the questions. The included instructions are limited. By the way, my instructions were incomplete so I called customer service and they emailed me a pdf of it, if anyone needs it let me know.
I used an add a fuse on M37, I already had it there from my bully dog tuner
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170308_152409.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	667923
Old 03-08-2017, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
I used an add a fuse on M37, I already had it there from my bully dog tuner
Attachment 667923
I think M37 might be the same one I essentially used, just by means of tapping the 12V plug. My bully dog is tapped the same way in the fuse box, and I do think it would be easier for you to go with this as a power source for the switch. You just want to make sure it's a fuse linked to the key so that switch light doesn't stay on when the jeep is off.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I finally got around to mounting the compressor today, what a pain! I can't recommend the JK Innovations brackets though, they use little rubber pins to mount one side and they were totally useless. Nothing a couple heavy duty zip ties couldn't fix though. I disconnected the abs plug before I disconnected my pos battery (I know, read the instructions first) and when I put it all back together my abs light was on. A quick trip to Chrysler took care of that. And they didn't even charge me. Wiring tomorrow. It took me nearly 5 hours just to mount the dumb thing.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have some crossing under there for small LED lighting in my speakers.
Wha? Pics?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by cjnomo
Wha? Pics?
just some back lighting and floorboard lighting that I have active with my headlights. They're not quite as bright as the pics make em look.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2423791308592996921-account_id=1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	668534   Click image for larger version

Name:	5137382764277751974-account_id=1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	668535  
Old 03-17-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
just some back lighting and floorboard lighting that I have active with my headlights. They're not quite as bright as the pics make em look.
Neat. Unique. I like.

Quick Reply: Switch wiring for arb OBA question