Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Switchable Aux Reverse Lights - Schematic Feedback Requested

Old 02-08-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport

You sure you have the oem reverse wire attached to pin 85 with 86 to ground? Nothing else should be connected to these pins. Make sure you didn't run a jumper wire between the aux light and the reverse light at the tail light.

If the wiring is correct, then test the relay. With a continuity tester check across pins 85 an 86. It should show continuity. Check across pins 85 and 87. Should show open line. Same as across 85 and 30. Then check across pins 30 and 87. Should show open line. Then apply 12v to pin 85 with pin 86 to ground. Check across pins 30 and 87 again. This time it should show continuity.
Gonna be a little while before I get another chance to get back in there. Hope someone else chimes in with real world experience.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pickjones
Gonna be a little while before I get another chance to get back in there. Hope someone else chimes in with real world experience.
Just tried it out and it worked for me perfectly. I ended up keeping the lights as activated by switch only when it was all said and done because these are way to bright to have them come on every time I throw it in reverse, but I temp-rigged it up per 14Sport's schematic just to demonstrate what he came up with is good.

Here are the pics...

Here is 'not in reverse' and 'switch off'. No lights on.

Here is 'in reverse' and 'switch off'. Both aux and reverse lights on.

Here is 'in reverse' and 'switch on'. You can see the switch on in the a-pillar. Both Aux and reverse lights on.

Here is 'not in reverse' and 'switch on'. Aux lights only, no backfeed into reverse lights. You can see the switch on in the a-pillar.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smittycm
Just tried it out and it worked for me perfectly. I ended up keeping the lights as activated by switch only when it was all said and done because these are way to bright to have them come on every time I throw it in reverse, but I temp-rigged it up per 14Sport's schematic just to demonstrate what he came up with is good.

Here are the pics...

Here is 'not in reverse' and 'switch off'. No lights on.

Here is 'in reverse' and 'switch off'. Both aux and reverse lights on.

Here is 'in reverse' and 'switch on'. You can see the switch on in the a-pillar. Both Aux and reverse lights on.

Here is 'not in reverse' and 'switch on'. Aux lights only, no backfeed into reverse lights. You can see the switch on in the a-pillar.
Awesome work, Chris. I knew it would work. And great pics. At a perfect angle showing all 3 components, the reverse light, the aux light, and the switch, in each pic.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:07 AM
JK Newbie

YOU

GUYS

ROCK
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

Added the OEM wiring for a complete schematic now that I know it works.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse lights - Dual Relay.jpg
Views:	57993
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	596222  

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-10-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Added the OEM wiring for a complete schematic now that I know it works.
Hey, just a quick note. If I recall correctly, my wire turned from either White/Gray or White/Green. It was one color leaving the taillight, but then went to the other after the plug. Now, maybe it was just the wire being dirty because I had all sorts of dirt in that little cubby behind the light, or maybe it was the dark garage I was working in, but I could swear it changed colors. I ended up tapping into the wire as soon as it left the taillight before the plug just to be certain no craziness happened in the plug.

I'll double check the wire colors again after work unless you get a chance to get in there before I do. Reason I mention it is in case someone decides they want to tap into the wire past the plug, further forward in the Jeep. Regardless, they should use a test light to make sure they're grabbing the correct wire.

Awesome work on the schematic though. You should probably go ahead and update your original post to save people the trouble of having to find the final product 6 pages into the thread.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Hey, just a quick note. If I recall correctly, my wire turned from either White/Gray or White/Green. It was one color leaving the taillight, but then went to the other after the plug. Now, maybe it was just the wire being dirty because I had all sorts of dirt in that little cubby behind the light, or maybe it was the dark garage I was working in, but I could swear it changed colors. I ended up tapping into the wire as soon as it left the taillight before the plug just to be certain no craziness happened in the plug.

I'll double check the wire colors again after work unless you get a chance to get in there before I do. Reason I mention it is in case someone decides they want to tap into the wire past the plug, further forward in the Jeep. Regardless, they should use a test light to make sure they're grabbing the correct wire.

Awesome work on the schematic though. You should probably go ahead and update your original post to save people the trouble of having to find the final product 6 pages into the thread.
I used the color that the factory schematic shows for the 2010. But when I have time I will see if I can trace my 2014 all the way up. Good point.

Good idea to update the first post. I will add it for those that don't wish to follow our progress through the thread.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

If I recall correctly, my wire turned from either White/Gray or White/Green.
Just verified on my 2014. The wire coming out of the reverse light socket is white/green and goes into the tail light connector.

Coming out the tail light connector it is white/gray.

Found the white/gray in the passenger footwell and it tested +12v when in reverse only.

I didn't trace it under the hood but I'm confident it will be the same color.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ReverseOEMWiring 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1648
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	596241   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReverseOEMWiring 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	21186
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	596242   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReverseOEMWiring 003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	35917
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	596243  

Last edited by 14Sport; 02-11-2015 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying this today. Pics will follow. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mfields
I'm trying this today. Pics will follow. Keep your fingers crossed!
May the force be with you! lol

I suggest running everything in the open and testing before final install. Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Switchable Aux Reverse Lights - Schematic Feedback Requested