Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Tail Light Removal Question

Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tail Light Removal Question

Hey everyone.

Dont want to come off sounding dumb but I changed the rear bulbs on my Jeep and was curious about two things.

1. I removed all 4 screws on each assembly. After reading through the threads, apparently I may have set off a bomb in another country the way everyone stresses only removing the inside screws. What exactly did removing the outside screws do that made it so important? The whole assembly came off so i'm not sure what it did.

2. The outer side of the housing (the side that doesn't bolt in to the body) doesn't seem to sit flush on the body now. Should I worry about moisture getting in there?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You already found out what happens when you remove all 4 screws. It disturbs the fixture's alignment with the body, which allows more water and dirt to get in there.

All you have to do to improve it is loosen all 4 screws, and move the filler piece and fixture around until it sits as close to the body as you can get it. It may take several tries to get it back to where it was. Then tighten the screws.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-22-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

What was originally holding the filler to the body? I'm confused how not taking the others 2 other screws out would stop that part from separating from the body if they aren't even screwed in to it... The way I see it those two screws actually hold that piece on to the rest of the assembly.

Apologize if I'm way off base.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by soludsnake
What was originally holding the filler to the body? I'm confused how not taking the others 2 other screws out would stop that part from separating from the body if they aren't even screwed in to it... The way I see it those two screws actually hold that piece on to the rest of the assembly.

Apologize if I'm way off base.
I've accidently removed all 4 screws before also. I didn't really understand the purpose of the outer two screws either. But I was gental enough with the fixture not to find out. Like you, I have experienced some dificulty reseating the fixture ( still not sure if / how related to the outer screws ). Just remove the fixture and make another attempt to reseat. You will finally get there. Not sure if this makes a differance. But I reinstalled the fixture with all 4 screws laying on the bumper. Sounds like others have done it with the outer screws in place. So I think it boils down to which way you hold your tongue.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool, I'm not the only one confused by them then

I'll try reseating it today and if I'm lucky I'll be able to close that void, granted it only the size of my finger nail at the top and bottom of the light.

The compartment where the light sit appears to be open underneath anyway leaving it accessible to the elements from under. Is water getting in really that bad? Obviously I'll still try and fix it up.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Removal Question