Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Thieves bypass locks

Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thieves bypass locks

News story about thieves with some type of electronic device that opens car doors equipped with remote locks. Police, insurance companies, car manufacturers, and locksmiths don't know how they are doing it. Jeep was one of the makes listed as being hit. They showed security video of them going down a line of cars and when a dome light came on they opened the door and no alarm. At least it saves from having to replace broken windows.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for sharing. That's good to know, of course I'm not sure how you would stop it.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off you heard it on the news. So its 50% fact and 50% crap. This is an old thing that be blown up for them to make news. Its not a hard concept, have you ever seen gone on 60 sec. they use a remore scanner to get the garage door freq and the freq for the door locks on the Tahoe. So its not a new issue and people who know any thing about the issue know whats happening. The news just wants to create a scare for rateings.

Here is what is done, the criminals brodcast knowen freq that most cars use for door locks. Not very hard to find them out. They are listed in a few places as they have to be in a curtain level as to not interfere with any other electric items. They burst wide range of freq to try and trick the module into unlocking. This has been around for years.

The only way to have this not Work is to have a rolling freq. This is what most police and fire dept are useing. This keeps your scanner From picking up there talking. If you do manage to pick it up it will only be for a sec. Or you can just have manual door locks or power door locks added with no keyless entry.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gee, I guess that professor of electronics at Princeton that they interviewed that said he doesn't know how they do it must have been a fake so the news station could get ratings. And the police chief of one of the California cities that has been hit by these thieves was probably on CNN's payroll. I am so naive and I defer to your great wisdom.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Or maybe they found someone with a big title and no experience in that small sector of the industry.

This is old news, and not as easy on new vehicles. Why do it that way when popping the lock cylinder works so well? It's easier to hide a screwdriver than transmitter.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
First off you heard it on the news. So its 50% fact and 50% crap. This is an old thing that be blown up for them to make news. Its not a hard concept, have you ever seen gone on 60 sec. they use a remore scanner to get the garage door freq and the freq for the door locks on the Tahoe. So its not a new issue and people who know any thing about the issue know whats happening. The news just wants to create a scare for rateings.

Here is what is done, the criminals brodcast knowen freq that most cars use for door locks. Not very hard to find them out. They are listed in a few places as they have to be in a curtain level as to not interfere with any other electric items. They burst wide range of freq to try and trick the module into unlocking. This has been around for years.

The only way to have this not Work is to have a rolling freq. This is what most police and fire dept are useing. This keeps your scanner From picking up there talking. If you do manage to pick it up it will only be for a sec. Or you can just have manual door locks or power door locks added with no keyless entry.
actually...this is correct. Its has been done down in South Africa for a few years now.
the other thing they do is use a signal jammer to prevent LoJack from sending a signal...therefore...no tracking of your car. Another "trick" is using a signal jammer to block your remote from LOCKING your doors. also very, VERY easily done. So...it is only a matter of time until this becomes more widespread....if you use the remote lock...CHECK and make sure your doors are locked.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old news. I know about this for years.

A simple hidden kill switch is all it takes to prevent the vast majority of car thefts.
...Jeep thefts too...

Last edited by GJeep; 04-12-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikekeeper
Gee, I guess that professor of electronics at Princeton that they interviewed that said he doesn't know how they do it must have been a fake so the news station could get ratings. And the police chief of one of the California cities that has been hit by these thieves was probably on CNN's payroll. I am so naive and I defer to your great wisdom.
Mikekeeper, Sorry I peed in your corn flakes. But the fact is 3 more stepped up after me. Thank you guys.

An to the topic, there are several places that use the type of blocking and jamming devices. Lots of Cinemas and Movie Theaters use them to stop cell calls. The broadcast system for a burst transmitter of a freq rang could be as big as a boom box or as little a brick walkie talkie. Also you need to take a look at your high end salvage yards that deal with high end cars. They some times use these transmitters and or scan tools to open damaged cars up and start them. These systems while expensive to the general public tend to find there homes first with military and criminals.

An a little off topic there is real world and there is make believe. In school there is fact and Theory and real world.

Just because they had a Police Chief on TV saying he don't know how there doing it, and a Professor. By the way you forgot to cap the first letter in there title to show respect. Does not mean other people do not know. The Professor practices Theory, a term that means could be. Also he works in a school that does not have an Automotive Program. Yes they make solar cars, but they dont work on cars day in day out and see how to foil the sensors and make a car do something its not intended to do. The Police Chief on the other hand, is more then likely a appointed office. While he may knows law and breaking in to a car is bad. Not many officers know how a car works. I have LEOs that are my friends, An I do hold an Automotive Degree. 90% of the LEOs I know don't have a clue about cars; look at there incident reports of value of damage. Also I have had more time taken JKs, TJs, YJs, CJs apart and modding them as you have been watching CNN Media. I have been in the modding world for over 13 years with Jeep's and Toyota's. I have seen stuff in school, Modding, and with law enforcement that couldn't rap your head around. Neat stuff that the big boys play with.

So please before you think to flame someone, ask yourself do you know that your right.

BTW food for though Toyota's with the 5s 3s motors are HEMI motors. Argue that one and you'll lose.

Sorry Mods if this offends

Last edited by 98jeepboy; 04-13-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 98jeepboy
Mikekeeper, Sorry I peed in your corn flakes.

Just because they had a Police Chief on TV saying he don't know how there doing it, and a Professor. By the way you forgot to cap the first letter in there title to show respect.

So please before you think to flame someone, ask yourself do you know that your right.
Someone's urine to flake ratio in THEIR cereal is off kilter as well He caught a news report allbeit old news about what THEY'RE doing and just wanted to share and pass it on ... THERE that's all keep calm.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Someone's urine to flake ratio in THEIR cereal is off kilter as well He caught a news report allbeit old news about what THEY'RE doing and just wanted to share and pass it on ... THERE that's all keep calm.
I will admit it yes it is. I just cant stand it. I try to be nice and tell them how its done. An that the news is not always factual and they get mad. He just caught me on a bad day. no excuse I know.

Quick Reply: Thieves bypass locks