Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

THINKING ABOUT HELLA 500 driving lamps/olympic4x4 winshield mounts/daystarlowerdash

Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THINKING ABOUT HELLA 500 driving lamps/olympic4x4 winshield mounts/daystarlowerdash

thinking of ordering the hell 500 driving lamps, might go with the black magic, but I'd like to hear some input from anybody running these. I plan on the olympic 4x4 windshield mounts and the daystar lower dash switch panel. Any suggestions, reviews, or tips would be appreciated.
ohh bonus question: What about running these off the stock battery? should I upgrade or does the stock battery hold up ok?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am also interested in this combo, minus the Daystar. The Hella pack comes with wiring harnesses and a rocker switch.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HAVE THE HELLAs ON MY BUMPER WIRED IT TO THE STOCK FOGLIGHT WIRES WORKS FINE BUT HAVE THE SIX PACK DRY CELL BATTERY WITH 12V RELAY FOR THE HELLAs...u should b ok with stock battery...
Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive been running the black magics for about the month and i love them. They look amazing with my theme. Their pretty bright, brighter then the stock headlights. Pretty easy wiring, ditched their lame switch and bought a cool one with the switch gaurd for 10 bux at autozone. Off Road Wherhouse has them for a good price with the KC brackets.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hipping-139.99

oh and i use the stock battery and it hasnt crapped out on me yet

Last edited by ericsurfffs; 09-28-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 AM
JK Newbie

Just installed 2 hella 500 black magic ldriving lights last night onto my MBRP front light bar. installation isn't too difficult but i do reccommend buying a new switch and forgetting about the daystar rocker panel if you have a 6 speed manual. shifting into 1st 3rd or 5th starts turning lights on and off due to interferance with the shift lever boot.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

The son just picked up a set of hella 500's from "Walmart" for $62.00
Old 09-29-2010, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07BLUEJK
The son just picked up a set of hella 500's from "Walmart" for $62.00
Yeah that's where I saw them Really good price, much better than quadratec and 4wd, plus everyone seems to love them.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something else to think about! Some people do not like the light pattern from a driving beam mounted on the windshield mounts. I would think that you would get more hood glare than you would from a long range / spot beam. Also, most lighting specs recomend that a driving beam be located closer to the headlight level. Higher is not necessarily better for this type of beam pattern.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blacktie
Just installed 2 hella 500 black magic ldriving lights last night onto my MBRP front light bar. installation isn't too difficult but i do reccommend buying a new switch and forgetting about the daystar rocker panel if you have a 6 speed manual. shifting into 1st 3rd or 5th starts turning lights on and off due to interferance with the shift lever boot.
Do you have a pic of the Hellas on the light bar? Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a set of the black magics on smittybilt windshield brackets. I replaced the switch with one from radio shack - can't use the daystar since mine is a 6 speed. Happy with the lights - they look great on my black JK. The smittybilt brackets tuck the lights down and out.

No photos yet but will add some soon

Quick Reply: THINKING ABOUT HELLA 500 driving lamps/olympic4x4 winshield mounts/daystarlowerdash