Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.
View Poll Results: Would this be a security solution for your car?
Yes
75.00%
No
25.00%
Don't Know
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Topless security system?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Topless security system?

Hi,

Could you guys let me know your opinion on the demo movies below? That's a security sistem, highly integrated (embedded, GSM/GPS/WiFi/BT), which is built by me, however I don't know if this could worth the time to develop it into a commercial product. What do you think about it?

Short Demo: https://youtu.be/aQkWXnAZHU4

Long Demo: https://youtu.be/QCm0CkAmTVw

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 07-11-2017, 09:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I don't think it's a bad product, but might be a niche market. I think some of it is kinda of a lifestyle thing. I know for me, when top and doors come off, which is most of the time, nothing is left in the jeep that would piss me off if it was swiped. That's just part of it. I have an underseat lockbox that I'll tuck something that I want to protect, but generally, that's just part of the deal with a topless/doorless jeep. Alarms in general also just beat me down. Not sure they are the deterrent that we'd like to believe, especially when it comes to grabbing something quickly and running off with it. All that said, I'd bet some people will like your idea. Probably more inner city dwellers that might just occasionally have a top or doors off and not feel as comfortable with it.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I don't think it's a bad product, but might be a niche market. I think some of it is kinda of a lifestyle thing. I know for me, when top and doors come off, which is most of the time, nothing is left in the jeep that would piss me off if it was swiped. That's just part of it. I have an underseat lockbox that I'll tuck something that I want to protect, but generally, that's just part of the deal with a topless/doorless jeep. Alarms in general also just beat me down. Not sure they are the deterrent that we'd like to believe, especially when it comes to grabbing something quickly and running off with it. All that said, I'd bet some people will like your idea. Probably more inner city dwellers that might just occasionally have a top or doors off and not feel as comfortable with it.
Indeed, it would not deter 'a swipe'. However some of the thieves do mean to unlock the gloves compartment or the central console... in which case they need time, and also they need not be noticed... here it might be useful. Not to mention the thing also notifies the owner about the intrusion (this can happen silently if the siren is switched off via the mobile app), so you could have a little chat with the intruder...

Maybe the title of the thread is not the most appropriate, but leaving the car topless is what triggered me to build this. Otherwise the system is also useful in case the vehicle is stolen. That's why the option to enable/disable GPS (it should normally be disabled, to save power).

Thanks for your comments, I do agree and I also hide/take care of stuff, not leaving things in plain sight... however, sometimes you can't just lock them... could you notice there's baby's chair there? It really looks awful to lock that one with some chainlock, so a loud siren seems to be more appropriate for a situation where someone would take the two minutes to remove that baby seat (it was pretty expensive when I bought it, so it could be tempting, I've heard of other ridiculous things being stolen).

Quick Reply: Topless security system?