Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Trailer running lights not working - 2012 JK

Old 03-19-2017, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The trailer running light circuit on my 2012 JKU isn't working; I tested the lights on my Grand Cherokee and it's not the trailer. Brake light circuit works fine, as do all of the other circuits in the oem 7-pin connector. I called my dealer and she looked up that the circuit is tied to the license plate light, and sure enough, it's out. She told me to check fuse M13 and M16, and both are fine. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm totally stumped, and 12v wiring is my specialty. Thanks. Update: I just tested every fuse in the box, and all are fine. Interesting that the "left horn" and the "rear wiper" fuses don't have power to either side when the vehicle is running. Checked at the oem harness and there is no power to the pin; also checked the license plate bulb, which showed signs of corrosion, and there is no power there either. I will take left taillight out tomorrow night and see what I find; I know the oem 7 way harness plugs in behind that taillight, which is working fine. There IS a fuse by the battery that is part of the oem 7-way harness, but that one feeds 12v to the main 12v feed in the harness (the one that charges the house battery on my trailer, for instance; that fuse has nothing to do with the running lights (which has been mentioned in some other older posts; that fuse is fine and IS powering the 12v pin in the harness)). I feel like this happened one other time in my Wrangler and the dealer had to reset something with their starscan tool; I will look back in my service records to see if I can find it. As I'm no longer under warranty, I'm trying to prevent a trip to the dealer!

Last edited by bobholthaus; 03-19-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer running lights not working - 2012 JK