Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

two ?'s about aftermarket sub and amp

Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: aftermarket sub amp wiring through stock sub wires

Originally Posted by twarne01
i have been wanting to do the same thing. Quadratec sells a plug and play unit that includes a box, amp, and speaker but like you I already have the speakers, amp, and box. I read the installation instructions and it looks like if you already have the factory sub then all you have to do is run a power, ground, and tap into the sub wiring. They include a harness to do this....which is all i would be needing....wonder if anybody sells just the harness???
The Line Output adapter that runit3 linked to above would accomplish what you are looking for if you want to tap the sub wiring (approx $30). Although, after looking into it more, I think it makes more sense to use the same adapter and tap into the front speaker output off the stock headunit, because this signal has not been altered/amplified again through infinity amp, and more importantly, the frequencies have not been filtered by stock amp)....

I am going to best buy today to buy the scosche unit, and will let you know how it turns out; I have already run the power, remote turn on and rca's to front, just need the adapter to hook it up. (will provide pics today)....

Excited
Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Good Luck! Interested in the sound quality. May motivate me to dig out my old Alpine 4 channel and run 2 8"s to it.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by runit3
Good Luck! Interested in the sound quality. May motivate me to dig out my old Alpine 4 channel and run 2 8"s to it.
Hey Runit3, check out my other post:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/line-out-convertor-aftermarket-sub-sub-amp-w-infinity-system-pics-115498/

i just posted the question on which wire to run convertor off of, my guess is you already tried this out on your JK?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

Replied there
Old 01-19-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Welcome to my nightmare. I was planning a very simular install RES, PDX-5, and Polk speakers.

I called PAC and since I was planning on replacing the factory amp and running all new speaker wires. The tech rep suggested the aoem chr3, about $50.

Once everything was installed I turned on to test and the only speakers that would play were the sound bars. There was no control over volume (either max or off), balance, fade,etc.

I called tech support back and was told that after talking to the engineers that the c2a-chy2 would fix the balance, fade, volume issues, but give me no audio control.

I ended up purchasing a new head unit and all is now working.

Quick Reply: two ?'s about aftermarket sub and amp